• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New RPM Air Gap and AVS2 carb. WOW!

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
48B00D86-E30C-417D-B686-660E1E49554D.jpeg
4C89D10D-5075-4BD7-9C62-5CB32CFD9EF8.jpeg
Finally bit the bullet and trashed the Chinese air gap copy intake and Holley 570 for an Edelbrock Air Gap and the new Edelbrock ABS2 650 carb for my 360 and all l can say is holy crap! Perfect 12.4 Air fuel ratio out of the box when cruising. Needed to tweak the ldle screws a bit but it’s great. No Boggs, flat spots, hesitations, nothing. And it’s only $309 at Summit Racing. Instead of one single stream, the primaries have several holes around inside the orifice and does a better job mixing the fuel. Just wanted to share my honest opinion. Google it for a demo.

Cool, man. I'm very new to carbs, and I love all the tech they can have stuffed into them.

I've never seen an AVS2, glad to hear it runs well.
But 12.4 sounds pretty rich to me? Did you mean 14.2?
Also be careful with that long looking rubber fuel line long term, there is a reason the factory line was steel.
Have fun with it!

I've never seen an AVS2, glad to hear it runs well.
But 12.4 sounds pretty rich to me? Did you mean 14.2?
Also be careful with that long looking rubber fuel line long term, there is a reason the factory line was steel.
Have fun with it!
Yup. I’m playing around with jets and metering rods. Called Edelbrock and they don’t have kits or even tuning charts for these yet. Got idle afr to 13.1 or so and cruise to around 14. Wot was adjusted to 12. Cruise acceleration is about 16 for a second or two. Going to try stiffer step up spring next.

What do you mean "cruise acceleration is about 16 for a second or two"?

You mean if you accelerate half throttle or so, but not flooring it, it goes that lean?

I think you may need a numerically higher power valve.

Edelbrock carbs do not have a power valve.
Correct! That’s why I’m trying a stiffer spring. To get from cruise to power mode faster and avoid the short lean spot.

Didn't know that about edelbrocks, thanks! New to carbs.
No problem. If it were a Holley, then your answer is 50% correct. He would need a lower power valve number to correct the lean condition.

That momentary jump to lean when getting on the gas is familiar. My carb is also annular booster (Speed Demon) and exhibits the same symptoms.

I looked at the specs on those carbs and the only thing that really popped out to me was the power step on the metering rods. the spec I read stated .037" for the power step with a .098" jet. I believe a .047" is more appropriate for that jet.

Auto Transport Service
Back