• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Shoes -- Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas Radial FR70-14

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 70 Road Runner with Rallye wheels but the date codes were about 17 years old. They were the current size that I see often of 15x7 front and 15x8 rear wheels with p215 in front and p275 tires in rear -- I loved the ride and initially figured I'd just get Coopers or BFGs since I didn't feel comfortable on 17 year old tires for long cruises.

But, I really wanted a stock appearance since I used to ride on Polyglas back in the day (and then Concordes when I was broke and needed new tires). I searched and found the Coker Firestone Wide Ovals that would fit the Rallyes since they do make 15 inch radials in Wide Oval Radials. But after 40 years of staring at pictures that say Goodyear Polyglas, I just could not put Firestones on a 70 RR. :)

After decoding the build sheet, it said that it had 14x5.5 Road Wheels. So, after a few weeks, I got some 14x6 Road Wheels from another forum member and ordered the Polyglas Radials from Jim Miner at Heartland Tire.

It has REALLY taken me a while to get used to the smaller (original) size, but it rides great and looks the way I remember when these were my daily drivers. I wanted to share in case anyone else is on the fence about trying out these tires. It drives and responds about as well as you would expect with stock suspension and radials vs bias ply, so I'm very happy with the results.

034.JPG 035.JPG 036.JPG 037.JPG 038.JPG

They look great. Might have to look at them when my 1974 Polyglas redlines wear out.

View attachment 1062575

I wound up talking to Mr. Kelsey himself before I got them but ordered from Jim. I think if we all get together he might do the 15s as well. But these are great for now.

So these are the bias appearing radials I've heard about? Does Coker make these or are they from a different manufacturer?

So these are the bias appearing radials I've heard about? Does Coker make these or are they from a different manufacturer?
Yes they are. Kelsey makes the Goodyears and Coker makes the Firestones.

Can I go off on a tangent? I'm about ready to go with some new wheels, and I was thinking of Magnum 500s. However, I really like the looks of Road Wheels with the trim ring, like you have. If those are 14" wheels, the trims could have a stainless steel finish. But now, on 15x7s, there is choice of "polished" or brushed aluminum. Do you know what the finish is on your trim rings? The ones on your car look very good.

Can I go off on a tangent? I'm about ready to go with some new wheels, and I was thinking of Magnum 500s. However, I really like the looks of Road Wheels with the trim ring, like you have. If those are 14" wheels, the trims could have a stainless steel finish. But now, on 15x7s, there is choice of "polished" or brushed aluminum. Do you know what the finish is on your trim rings? The ones on your car look very good.

The trim rings do look like brushed but I would say that my wheels are chrome. I got them used to try to get closer to stock for 1970. The Rallye wheel trim rings that came on the car in 15s are definitely chrome. These 14” trim rings are or are much closer to stainless/brushed in comparison.

The trim rings do look like brushed but I would say that my wheels are chrome. I got them used to try to get closer to stock for 1970. The Rallye wheel trim rings that came on the car in 15s are definitely chrome. These 14” trim rings are or are much closer to stainless/brushed in comparison.
The trim rings on your car look brushed to me. I have 14x6 Rallye wheels on my 71 Charger with brushed trim rings, so I’ve been considering these Polyglas FR70-14 tires.. I am not a fan of the tread pattern on them though. I know it’s supposed to be the 70s police tread pattern, but it looks weird and nothing at all like the bias ply tread. In contrast the Firestone wide oval radials have a tread pattern that’s similar looking to the bias ply wide ovals.

It would be nice if you could take some photos of the car out the garage. Front and rear three-quarter views and side views so we all can see what these tires look like when mounted when viewing the entire car. And see how skinny they actually look on the car.. I’m not sure I like the skinny look of the bias ply F70-14. The bias ply G70-14 looks a little beefier to me. 14x6 wheels will take the G70 fine. 14x5.5 should have F70 on them.

If you look at the date stampings on your 14x6 Road Wheels they are probably 1973 or 74 vintage.

Factory vintage trim rings were brushed with the outer lip only polished. Every time I see trim rings on these cars with a mirror finish on the entire ring that screams REPRODUCTION.. The stepping is usually incorrect on the outer lip as well.

What kind of trim rings were on Kowalski‘s Challenger in Vanishing Point? BRUSHED! F60-15 Polyglas GTs too. They weren’t made in China with a mirror finish. Some of these repro rings are just fully chrome plated pieces of junk.

^^ I agree with everything you mention. Non radial is not an option for me since I really love driving and LA roads are lousy. Kelsey only makes polyglas radials in f70 so I gave it a go. The regular polyglas repos are in many old sizes and I really remember bias plus jumping lanes in the 70s.
They are skinny as you can image and probably skinnier than bias ply f70s. I’m doing exhaust on floor so it will be a while until I can send pics!

Last edited:
I wound up talking to Mr. Kelsey himself before I got them but ordered from Jim. I think if we all get together he might do the 15s as well. But these are great for now.
When you talked to Mr. Kelsey did he indicate why he chose the police tread pattern over the F70 bias ply tread pattern? And why the FR70 is smaller in outside diameter than the F70?

I have compared the specs, the FR70 is only equal to the F70 in tread width at 6.5”. The FR70 is both smaller in outside diameter 26.0” and section width 8.5”. F70 is 26.4” diameter and section width 8.75”.

Size wise the 14 inch Polyglas tire, that I am drawn to, is the G70-14 with outside diameter of 26.8”, section with of 8.9” and tread width of 6.9”.

When you talked to Mr. Kelsey did he indicate why he chose the police tread pattern over the F70 bias ply tread pattern? And why the FR70 is smaller in outside diameter than the F70?

I have compared the specs, the FR70 is only equal to the F70 in tread width at 6.5”. The FR70 is both smaller in outside diameter 26.0” and section width 8.5”. F70 is 26.4” diameter and section width 8.75”.

Size wise the 14 inch Polyglas tire, that I am drawn to, is the G70-14 with outside diameter of 26.8”, section with of 8.9” and tread width of 6.9”.

I just asked him about availability of 15s vs 14s. He said it was a lot of work to get the 14s designed and tested. I asked about 15s like on Cudas but he said he is pushing 80 so who knows.
I drove myself nuts with section and tread widths. But I closed the brain and bought them. Extremely happy and wanted a cruiser so the rest I’ve gotten used to. Look for pics in a months or so — garage exhaust has turned into a new manifold and shocks too on free weekends.

It was this post that made me finally do it. I could not find any pics on a b-body. I doubt I'm the first, but looks nice on an e-body. :)
Kelsey FR70-14 Goodyear Polyglas Radial Tires in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering - Page 1 of 1 (e-bodies.org)

Last edited:
The trim rings on your car look brushed to me. I have 14x6 Rallye wheels on my 71 Charger with brushed trim rings, so I’ve been considering these Polyglas FR70-14 tires.. I am not a fan of the tread pattern on them though. I know it’s supposed to be the 70s police tread pattern, but it looks weird and nothing at all like the bias ply tread. In contrast the Firestone wide oval radials have a tread pattern that’s similar looking to the bias ply wide ovals.

It would be nice if you could take some photos of the car out the garage. Front and rear three-quarter views and side views so we all can see what these tires look like when mounted when viewing the entire car. And see how skinny they actually look on the car.. I’m not sure I like the skinny look of the bias ply F70-14. The bias ply G70-14 looks a little beefier to me. 14x6 wheels will take the G70 fine. 14x5.5 should have F70 on them.

If you look at the date stampings on your 14x6 Road Wheels they are probably 1973 or 74 vintage.

It’s been about a month since you asked, but here is a pic of from the rear of the tires. You can see how large (or small) they are. Doing shocks and then exhaust when I get it done I’ll try to get more pics.
0A8CF59C-9CDF-4541-8C75-CE6B5757CC9F.jpeg

Thanks, that's a start. Please get the camera right inline behind one of those tires, so we can better see the true width.

You have your jack stands in the same place I put mine, under the axle housing. I don't have the blocks you have under the tires.. What is the purpose of having the blocks and jack stands together like I see in the photo?

At this time, I don't think I'm going to get any of the Polyglas tires. Instead I'm most likely going to get 225/70/14 Cooper Cobra or Milestar Streetsteel for now. To go on my 14x6 Rallye wheels. My driver side lower control arm bushing is slightly compromised, and I don't want to replace suspension parts now. Currently, I have had NO alignment after installing the Borgeson gearbox and the car tracks straight going down the road on the 21 year old tires. So the front end can't be that bad..

So, I'll see how a front end alignment goes with cheaper tires, before investing over a grand in a set of Polyglas.

^^So I’ve always had access to some kind of a lift when I replaced shocks before. Just wanted to make sure it would not fall when I took out the air shocks. It did not! Now I know.

Auto Transport Service
Back