• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie, hello and about the car I own

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I read this site all the time and am impressed with the depth of knowledge people have. It is also good to see newbies planning and in the midst of restorations of older vehicles. It is rolling history..

My car is a 1966 Dodge Coronet, 440 trim level. I have a wonderful wife and daughter who have decided to take pity on me and are helping to restore it. There is a bet in the house about how much we will have spent!

This car is a Christine story..I bought it in high school in 1984 and drove it for my senior year. Moved out to Las Vegas for work and drove it for another year. Sold the car and a few years later, saw it driving through town with a For Sale sign. Followed it and bought it back. Not the guy I sold it to either, so it had changed hands. Nothing was done to it, it just remained a 318 2 bbl and that's it.

Then shortly after I got it back, it was stolen. I filed a stolen vehicle report and a year or so after, I got a call from Nevada Hwy Patrol. They said they had my car. It had been returned from California and is in impound. Come get it before Tuesday or it is going on the auction block.

I didn't get excited because I thought it would be a basket case. Went to look at it and the tires were shot, engine ran on 4 cylinders, seats were destroyed but no broken glass, it wasn't wrecked and it had all the glass and dash. Took her home. Motor blew on the way.

Tore it down and fixed on her to the point it was a nice car again. Nothing special. Now, we have a 440, 727, Gear Vendors Overdrive, disc brakes, etc. Going to be fun.

So, that's the story. Will post another thread about what I am doing to it.

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. Quite the history and story you have there. Glad its back.

IMG_4530.jpeg

Gonna need to see it.

Thanks for sharing your story. Now, post some photos of that Coronet before it slips away from you again!!

Welcome (3)f.jpg

Ho Lee Cow! That’s quite a story. With history like that you’ve got to keep it forever
Welcome to FBBO from Prescott, Arizona

Thanks for all the welcomes!
It was white with the blacked out hood and brand on quarter panel before we started this re-build. We bought a hood scoop for it. It is just sitting on the hood in this photo. This photo is the beginning of the tear down last summer.
Remember the z-bart rubber coating sprayed under the old cars? Yeah..

hood.jpg

Welcome from Alabama, great story. The hood scoop will be nice with that 440 combo.

A family project?
I got one word for that... :thumbsup:

Greetings, and welcome from NY!

Welcome from NJ. That’s a story, wow. Nice project.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Thanks for the picture and the story. You have really stuck with this Coronet over the years. Have family fun with your project. I have a 1967 Coronet R/T.

Sounds like a cool refresh build, congrats on getting it back
440 727tf w/gear venders Od, should be fun

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

dash.jpg

As you can see from the photo, this is in the midst of tearing it down. The old carpet backing was stuck to the floor and that just took some elbow grease.
One of the harder things was getting the front and rear windshields out without either cracking them or destroying the gaskets. I got them both out and didn't have to cut the gaskets. But, they are originals so I think they will be replaced with new just because...I mean, at this stage who wants to take windows out a second time because of stiff gaskets that aren't sealing?
I remember about 25 years ago trying to find parts for these old cars was more difficult than it is now. You can almost build your favorite classic car from catalogs today! It is going to be one heck of an expensive car, but you could! Is it my imagination or does anyone else think it is easier to find parts now?
Original trim moldings, quarter panels, correct tint glass, wiring harnesses - I can even get a brand new dash face! Again, not cheap but it's brand new.
So, since the decision was made to spend the time and energy on this project we are going through everything. We want it to be like new. A coronet 440 is not a special car so when done we won't be a high dollar car like some but still going to be sweet.
More to follow..

Auto Transport Service
Back