• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No crank issue

lochenjons

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
1970 Charger with 383. Wiring is in OK shape but never given me this issue before. Only thing I did differently before this issue popped up was drove over some rough roads and surfaces.

Got it home and went to start it a little later and the key went to start and voltmeter dropped to 0 but absolutely no noise from starter and smoke started coming from the connector below:
ENGINE-BAY.jpg

Left it alone and then the next day went to crank it and it cranked slower than normal for a couple seconds, cranked it again and then the same issue happened. No noise or anything from starter and a smoking connector.

Any of you guys deal with this before?

This weekend if it doesn't rain I'm going to pull those connectors and check their cleanliness, then start checking voltage at starter etc, check ground and make sure everything is okay. Just wanted to get a jump start on what to check for if anyone has experienced anything like this before. Thanks !

Dang bulkhead plug! Pull that connector off, and if you can get some new terminals I would trim the wire back as much as you can (I know there isn't much slack) and put new ones on. Smear some electrical protective grease on them while you're there. Sometimes squeezing the female terminal with pliers to tighten it back up helps too.

And clean those cobwebs off there!:lol:

that could be caused by a bad amp meter
check that out also!

and clean those cobwebs off there!:lol:

Ha ha! This picture was actually from the day I first saw the car and pulled it out of the guys back yard ... it doesn't look much better today but it is a little cleaner ha ha. Thanks for the info guys, I'll do that this weekend if it doesn't rain. California actually got some rain for once

that could be caused by a bad amp meter
check that out also!
Yup. Had a similar problem. Amp gauge shorted out internally and fried the fusible link on the bulkhead connector. Replaced the fusible link and bypassed the amp gauge. No more problems.

1970 Charger with 383. Wiring is in OK shape but never given me this issue before. Only thing I did differently before this issue popped up was drove over some rough roads and surfaces.

Got it home and went to start it a little later and the key went to start and voltmeter dropped to 0 but absolutely no noise from starter and smoke started coming from the connector below:
View attachment 872884

Left it alone and then the next day went to crank it and it cranked slower than normal for a couple seconds, cranked it again and then the same issue happened. No noise or anything from starter and a smoking connector.

Any of you guys deal with this before?

This weekend if it doesn't rain I'm going to pull those connectors and check their cleanliness, then start checking voltage at starter etc, check ground and make sure everything is okay. Just wanted to get a jump start on what to check for if anyone has experienced anything like this before. Thanks !

You said "voltmeter". Is that what you really have or do you mean an ammeter?

You said "voltmeter". Is that what you really have or do you mean an ammeter?
Volts, its part of a 3-pod autometer setup I put in the car (water temp, voltage, and oil pressure). Haven't tested anything with an electrical tester yet.

Thanks. If it's a voltmeter and it goes to 0 then you have a dead short when in the start mode. You mentioned the "connector below", could you be more specific?

Thanks. If it's a voltmeter and it goes to 0 then you have a dead short when in the start mode. You mentioned the "connector below", could you be more specific?

Sorry, I missed the circle drawn (bulkhead terminal) in your picture.

Auto Transport Service
Back