• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"No, it's a '65. Right, that grille was only one year."

65RoadRacer

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
It's cool that people will actually stop me or wait for me to get out of my car and ask me about it. People love older cars still. But it always baffles me that these people are Mopar fans and say that they used to have an old Mopar B body, and always ask me if my car is a '64, or if it's a Dodge or Plymouth. Last night a guy sat in his car after I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and just waited... I was wondering why, but he heard it and thought it sounded healthy, and waited to ask me if it's a '63 Dodge, because he used to have one and it looked just like it.

I realize the back is similar and the doors are identical, but it's funny that nobody ever gets the year correct with this car, especially since the grille is one-year only. LOL

It is quite halarious what some people think they know about these old cars. All of them in the 60's were different, they all had different grilles and tails every year and they were different for each brand. Very little back then wasn't slightly redesigned for the next model year, weather it was guages or side markers, they really just kept the basic shape and changed some clay around, much unlike today's cars. When I was in college, I had a guy ask if I wanted to sell my car as he had one in high school and wanted to have a 66 nova again. I told him it wasn't for sale and its a 68 barracuda.

LOL... I didn't know the Chevy II/Barracuda existed!

I can take it when I get out of the car and someone just admires it because it's from their generation, one older woman once asked, "That's a Galaxie, right?" and it was cool, she was just admiring and making conversation. What really cracks me up is when someone asks what year it is and after I tell them, "It's a '65 Plymouth," they say something like, "My uncle had a '72 Nova..." and proceed to tell me their story. I'm like, "What the hell does a '72 Nova have to do with a '65 Plymouth???"

Reading your story's reminded me of a time long ago when a few of my Mopar buds and our cars were park at the local taco stand telling lie's when this dude comes over ask who owns this car(67 GTX). I spoke up - it's mine! At that point he proceeded to tell me that his dad had one of these and I had the wrong exhaust tips, they're supposed come strait out the rear instead of being angled out the rear. I mentioned to him that they were correct and he was incorrect and that I have owned the car since 1968. but what do I know!View attachment 256972 I still the car today!!!

Back when Mopar Muscle sponsored cruises to the Mopar Nats, I ran the leg in my 70 Road Runner from Memphis to Columbus. We were at a gas stop with about 15 old Mopars when one of the old guys at the garage said "that young kid over there wanted to know what year Chevelle you had." He smiled and said "Please don't hurt him!"

Guy came up to me in a grocery store parking lot and wanted to look over my car. I popped the hood and he said "I always loved Chevy Orange paint on an engine". I didn't hurt him either, though I should have...

Wait until you are in your 70's,you yourself won't remember what it was !!

If people come up and tell me that they like my car I'm not too hard on them if they get the year or whatever wrong, I just kindly try to lay some knowledge on them. It's a public service I provide free of charge. :)

I have had a few people get mad at me after they say they have a car exactly like mine. Recently at a gas station a guy said this to me, I said you have a 62 Plymouth Savoy 2dr post? I'd love to see it. He responded no it's a 65 Valiant. When I asked how is that the same, he got mad and left.

If people come up and tell me that they like my car I'm not too hard on them if they get the year or whatever wrong, I just kindly try to lay some knowledge on them. It's a public service I provide free of charge. :)

I rarely hear someone get it right, so I feel the same...educate where you have to, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I have had a few people get mad at me after they say they have a car exactly like mine. Recently at a gas station a guy said this to me, I said you have a 62 Plymouth Savoy 2dr post? I'd love to see it. He responded no it's a 65 Valiant. When I asked how is that the same, he got mad and left.

haha... it's guilt by association. Savoy, Valiant, tomato, tomahto... lol

Two weekends ago a guy at the local cruise spot asked what year it was.

I told him '63 and he said "I thought so! I took my drivers test in one of these!" He had a gleam in his eye and looked like he was gonna cry all at the same time.

The lady at the DMV that did the on-road inspection said her family had Polara's and a 440 but she'd never seen a 330. Kinda caught me off guard as very few people know what they are talking about with these cars.

It's cool that people will actually stop me or wait for me to get out of my car and ask me about it. People love older cars still. But it always baffles me that these people are Mopar fans and say that they used to have an old Mopar B body, and always ask me if my car is a '64, or if it's a Dodge or Plymouth. Last night a guy sat in his car after I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and just waited... I was wondering why, but he heard it and thought it sounded healthy, and waited to ask me if it's a '63 Dodge, because he used to have one and it looked just like it.

The less well known B bodies have a panache that the Dukes of Hazzard cars don't
But all old cars can be confusing to those that don't study them.
And memories can fail.
Happens all the time with me because my daily is an A body.
Of course there are those that think a Duster might be a Nova.
But more often they think a DS is a Duster. I usually give them a little pop culture trivia about the car.
Sometimes they know what it is but just ask me the year. Or what engine it has.
And I get to hear what they had. Takes about 60 seconds of my life.
I never get upset about these things. If it was a Ferrari no one would even ask you about it.
It's always fun no matter what they say.

https://youtu.be/oOZjaFfciss

Attachments

• Levi's Commercial.jpg
    Levi's Commercial.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 449
  • al-bundy-dodge-dart.jpg
    al-bundy-dodge-dart.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 713
It is nice when the general public takes the time to look and talk about our old cars, even if their "knowledge" is sometimes whacky.

There are know it alls everywhere. I try not to let it bother me and just enjoy driving something different. Like my 63 Dodge that has been called a Galaxie more than once.

I always like the "I had one just like it but it was different."

Like you eric, I just agree with what ever they say, they walk away faster that way.

all the car show people love my Dodge!:icon_winkle:...dumb chebby/ford/import/:iamwithstupid:
it says PLYMOUTH right on the dam car!

Attachments

• 007 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    007 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 428
There are know it alls everywhere. I try not to let it bother me and just enjoy driving something different. Like my 63 Dodge that has been called a Galaxie more than once.

My elderly neighbor lady told me she liked my car and in the same breath asked if it was an ElCamino. :thinker:

I was told once that my '69 Road Runner was a "gorgeous" GTO. She was hot, so I just smiled, nodded, and winked. ;)

Just like last week. I was having the house painted and I'm just hanging out watching them, had the overhead door open. And one of the painters asks what year my Impala is, all the while he's looking right at the front of my hood and it clearly states right there, C H R Y S L E R. WTF dude, you need glasses?

Auto Transport Service
Back