• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No P/S

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
Well I’ve had the pump rebuilt twice now, each one lasting the 2 summers
Did the air thing, wheels side to side, bleed system, fluid flows freely from both high pressure and low pressure lines, belts tight, no leaks, still no power steering
This is on a 65 Satellite, got a new power valve for steering box and going to try that, any thoughts
Please

Rebuilt twice? How do you mean lasting the two summers?
Does it act okay for a period of time, then quits?

I mean. Had one rebuilt 2 summers ago, it went for a ****
Got another one, Worked great till the end of last summer. It to went for a ****. Had that one rebuilt. Still no P/S. Done everything, now I’ve got a new Power valve to put on
Hope that works

Had that one rebuilt. Still no P/S.
Okay...had your's rebuilt, and it doesn't work, right?
Off hand, only two things come to mind. One, it wasn't put together right. Depending on which type of pump it is, the pump blades can be put in wrong. Two, there's a pressure valve, that can be cleaned only, or replaced with the correct one. Book tells you never to take it apart, or try to adjust. Takes a fairly complicated plumbing mess, just for the factory to set, and test them. So, if it was messed with...

What type pump, big block, or small?

TRW. Big block. To clarify. Had one rebuilt, Worked great for awhile, got another one that was also rebuilt Worked great for awhile That’s way I’m thinking Valve on steering box ?
Or steering box itself ?

Thinking...

Can't picture what would let one work for awhile...then quit.

Are you using real p/s fluid? Any chance one of the hoses get collasped, or clogged?
I'd suggest getting into the service manual, trouble shooting, maybe get an idea what could cause what's going on.
There's only a limited number of things that could cause that.

Steering box...can't tell you much on it. I put a seal kit in mine, and it's fine.

P/S fluid yes, hose not collapsing. Etc. Mmm

Ditch that POS and get a Saginaw pump. So much easier to rebuild and parts are plentiful.

any Leeds where to get a Saginaw. Thanks

eBay, AutoZone, Napa, Orielys, just about anywhere. You will need to get a differ pulley as the Saginaw uses a keyed bolt on pulley also mounting brackets. eBay is your friend or put a “want” add up, someone might have what you need.

I’ll have to agree, the Saginaw pump is a superior pump. I’ve had one on my 65 for about ten years, never any trouble with it. I can’t think of anything in the box that would cause a pump failure unless there could be an internal leak letting the fluid overheat. Some Saginaw pumps have a pressed on pulley, make sure you get the right pump/pulley combination.

Auto Transport Service
Back