• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not the first time for this problem, I'm sure!

19bee70

Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
Just a quick back story first. My Bee did not have an engine when I bought it 20 or more years ago. I had a 440 block and crank to start with in my shed. I had to completely build from a grocery list all the way down to nuts and bolts. I had a PS pump in a box of parts but even after buying brackets, I could never get the pulleys ( PS and crank) to line up. It was YRW. I bought a Sag pump and brackets, although it sure looks like the pump sits high. The pulleys line up BUT in the pic you can see the belt wraps around the bottom of the WP pulley. Yeh, I read a "brush against" the WP pulley can be normal but this looks a lot more than just a rub. My thought was get a smaller diameter crank or PS pulley but I can't find either of those...new or used. There has to be a solution. Surely there's an option I'm not thinking of!

IMG_20240407_191509228.jpg

IMG_20240407_191432411_HDR.jpg

I'd prefer to fix it properly with the proper parts but if you like a bit of engineering you can put an idler in there (with maybe a longer belt if required) to take the tension and move the belt away from the snout.

It could come off the power steering bracket. Would have to custom made but would work. Below is a generic photo to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

ERR6949A-Aftermarket.jpg

They made a double pulley for the water pump. It is what we run. Not exactly sure what it came on. But, the belt would need to be longer.

66Sat....yep I recognize that option. Just like modern day and I'm guessing switch to full serpentine drive package?
Pnora ...I suspect that possibly because I'm using an aftermarket water pump housing with driverside intake, that might have made the bracket mounting bolts in the wrong place compared to factory units. Does anyone make an undersize pulley for either component or maybe MOPAR did and I just haven't found one yet?

Curious....I did not even think of that. I could probably make that double pulley on the water pump work too! I'll check for one of those and see if I have any luck finding one.

Thanks everyone. Maybe this might just work!

The trw power steering pumps had a very small pulleys on them that would probably clear as well. Some of the federals and saginaws pumps have a really large pulley.

looks like the double water pump pulley is out there. I think this lists some applications.

Screenshot_20240407_191309_Chrome.jpg

I can't tell what crank pulley you have? Are both the pulleys same size diameter? Or is the back groove smaller?

I can't tell what crank pulley you have? Are both the pulleys same size diameter? Or is the back groove smaller?
Poster should remove pulleys and look for numbers. Numbers might help identify what they are. Better pictures might help. Power steering looks to be to high possibly truck brackets. Alternator pulley looks to be on an angle to. Front view would help.

Ok...let me backup and take a pic for the complete view. I really can't rule out a truck or AC bracket setup. When I bought them for the pump it didn't say what they were from. I just needed something to line up. I never considered the belt interference with the WP pulley. And yes.....the crank pulley has two different diameter grooves.

17125387824307267879421955015661.jpg

17125388397579020746027546084400.jpg

That is a really weird setup. I’ve never seen it before.
The Saginaw setup is amazingly simple. That is not.
The Saginaw setups I’ve seen do sit lower. This is mine with A/C.

742EC082-229B-4CF8-9156-14486F44EA75.jpeg

It clears the water pump pulley by a mile but you have the deeper dished pulley.

2E0BB0D8-62B6-4DCE-86F3-1AA873808B0F.jpeg

I had this Saginaw pump in the same spot when I had the NON A/C arrangement and it cleared fine. Here is my 440 truck NON A/C.

499217FF-4781-45DE-BDCD-2CA938A587EF.jpeg

47D9CD3E-B78A-4634-ACEE-74F3CE58C2E0.jpeg

See? The belt clears easily.

04247716-24D4-4431-9368-64424824450F.jpeg

You have a mish mash of incompatible parts.

Go figure. ..unbelievable and not surprising since I had nothing to start with. Well, it sounds like the double WP pulley OR like Kerndog is describing...find another set of brackets! Geeeez
I appreciate all the input. I suppose it's back to the drawing board!

That PS pump bracket looks like the one that was on my motorhome 440. It had the a/c compressor mounted to it.

Double pulley on the water pump needs a crank pulley with matched grooves.

440 source makes bb powered steering pump bracket. I think it is for a saginaw. If your crank pulley has the two different sized pulleys it should work.

Go figure. ..unbelievable and not surprising since I had nothing to start with. Well, it sounds like the double WP pulley OR like Kerndog is describing...find another set of brackets! Geeeez
I appreciate all the input. I suppose it's back to the drawing board!
The 440 Source in Nevada has Saginaw brackets in either steel or aluminum for a fair price.

Here are a couple pics of the factory non-a/c power steering brackets used on truck applications.

dodge w ps2.jpg

440 w ps 1.jpg

Last edited:
Pnora ...your second pic is exactly the bracket I'm using so where else could the problem be?

Pnora ...your second pic is exactly the bracket I'm using so where else could the problem be?
Both pics are the same mounting. The problem is that is not the set up you need to be using. Get rid of it and get the correct mounting that aligns with the car you are working on.

That pulley looks huge too. Hopefully the pulley will be okay when using the car bracket setup. Not sure the car brackets will work with that pump either. Too bad there aren't junkyards with these old cars in them anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back