• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NXCoupe's Shop Build

My wife rode up to Lowes with me so we could shop for double doors to use as the entrance to my engine room. I use double doors, 60" wide so that any engine stand will fit through the doorway without issue. Heck, the engine hoist can make it through there.
The stores weren't very crowded, so we got help quickly and the guy looked on their site for double doors and priced it out for me. It was 630 bucks plus tax and it was 45 days out, crap! I thanked him and said I wanted to shop around. Next stop was across the street at Home Depot(pronounced 'DEE pot'), and again, no one was in the store and we had 2 guys eager to interact with other humans even if it meant doing their jobs. I asked for double doors, he asked what size, I replied 60x80 and he said right this way. Around the corner and there they were. 279 plus tax. Sold. They loaded it on a cart and bid us farewell. A nice young gentleman asked if I needed assitance getting it into my vehicle and I said yes. He helped albeit struggled, to lift it up into my truck all the while I'm holding my end up and balancing it, but we got it in the truck. Got it home and my neighbor Jeep Mike(his nxcoupe given name) came down to help unload and shoot the shh er bull for a bit. That's all for now. View attachment 1583655
View attachment 1583663
Just a quick question, those are "Pre-Hung" doors with a threshold, so unless you remove it, it is going to be a bitch getting an engine on a stand thru the door! I had the same to deal with, so after much thinking, decided to just put in an archway. But, then Brandon fixed my problem by increasing lumber prices and I have not built the office & machine shop as the prices have increased the cost 4x what is was when someone else was up there...

Just a quick question, those are "Pre-Hung" doors with a threshold, so unless you remove it, it is going to be a bitch getting an engine on a stand thru the door! I had the same to deal with, so after much thinking, decided to just put in an archway. But, then Brandon fixed my problem by increasing lumber prices and I have not built the office & machine shop as the prices have increased the cost 4x what is was when someone else was up there...
No, it doesn't have a threshold, that is to keep the frame from flexing and falling apart before install and during transport. But thanks for looking out.

No, it doesn't have a threshold, that is to keep the frame from flexing and falling apart before install and during transport. But thanks for looking out.
Glad to hear. It was below the tailgate, so it was hard to see.

Glad to hear. It was below the tailgate, so it was hard to see.
When I was out there the next day, I checked to make sure I was correct and I was. You had me second guessing myself. lol.

Ok, so I have a lot of 'stuff', and what that means is, that 'stuff' is all over the shop, on shelves, in totes, stacked on the floor, under workbenches, stacked next to shelves and workbenches, etc. Why does that matter you ask? Well, I didn't think it did either, UNTIL I started building these rooms, and as the pictures show, my 'stuff' is completely in the way of everything. We can't even continue with the rooms because the porting bench, workbench, engine room countertops/workbenches, engine room cabinets, transmission bench, etc, are all put 'out of the way', yeah, up until the point we started building these rooms. So now, to get that out of the area that is going to be the restroom and office spaces, I have to move a shelf full of 'stuff' and maybe, just maybe, have enough space to get all this crap through the narrow gap between the other shelves of 'stuff'. I need to sell all this crap that I'm not using, but it's time consuming at minimum, along with having to deal with idiots, which makes it just something I keep procrastinating doing. Once completed, the countertop workbenches will be along the perimeter of the engine room, the porting bench and transmission bench(used to call it trans bench, but it's really happy just staying a transmission bench) will be on the west outside wall of the engine room, and the other large workbench will be across the shop on the corner of the east and southward facing walls. Then all the shelves of 'stuff' will be up on the second floor and out of the way! But that doesn't help me much now. The stacks of totes will be unpacked and put in the cabinets that go above the countertops on the north wall of the engine room. I am stoked that we have started on this. It is a dream coming to fruition for me, and I can't thank my friend Neil and my other friends that lend a hand when asked. So, for now, we continue to play this sick game of stuff tetris, moving crap around from one spot to another so we gain a place to work. It sucks, but it's an inconvenience rather than a game ender. We got the front wall up and next up was getting the ceiling joists up. Now we are putting stringers(sp) in between the ceiling joists to straighten them and also add rigidity. Next will be doing the same on the south wall, where the doors are going, to make that a little more rigid. I will start putting up insulation on the outside wall, and running wiring for outlets and lighting. I have made accomodations for the HVAC ductwork into the ceiling. Getting excited.

20240122_162450.jpg
20240122_162425.jpg
20240127_141335.jpg
20240127_141403.jpg

Last edited:
That's as far as we got on Saturday, we finished it up on Sunday but honestly, I was too beat to take pictures. We finished up and went to one of the local breweries to watch some crappy football, unless you're a KC fan. I'll snap some more tomorrow of the finished install.
20240127_141416.jpg
20240127_152459.jpg
20240127_154404.jpg
20240128_113831.jpg

As much as I tried not to do it, I had to play as I call it, being a Pileit[ pilot]. Not to be confused with the other Pilot. You know, pile it here, pile it there etc. Sometimes you can't avoid it, just have to be wise about how you do it to lessen the wasted time/effort.

Can I ask why you are using hurricane clips on the end of the joists rather than a rim joist?
1706649699032.png

Are you planning on installing a rim joist? The rim joist will keep the floor joists from wanting to roll over on their side. A hurricane clip is designed to be used to keep wind from getting under a roof and lifting the framing and plywood off the structure. I know the picture is not of the completed structure of the ceiling/floor.

Can I ask why you are using hurricane clips on the end of the joists rather than a rim joist?
View attachment 1601018
Are you planning on installing a rim joist? The rim joist will keep the floor joists from wanting to roll over on their side. A hurricane clip is designed to be used to keep wind from getting under a roof and lifting the framing and plywood off the structure. I know the picture is not of the completed structure of the ceiling/floor.
It's really the only thing that they had that would work and I didn’t want to toe nail it. We are using stringers 4ft apart between the board to keep them from turning and they are so warped it straightens the boards out as well. Thanks for looking out. If you have a picture if what you're talking about that would help immensely, as we aren't pro's at this, we are just too broke to pay professionals to do it. Lol.

1706746275299.png

What the drawing calls a header joist is whatI call a rim joist. There is usually diagonal bracing or solid blocking placed at the mid span of the joists.

Ok, so this past weekend we got to work most of Saturday after our trip to the hardware store. I picked up some USB panels at 22 bucks each, sheesh, that stuff has barely come down. Plywood is still stupid expensive. I started putting up insulation and Neil worked on the wiring we started Thursday evening. We finished up the stringers that evwning too. We messed around with the plywood sheeting placement and no matter how we look at it, we are going to have to trim panels to fit the joists. More inexperience bites us in the butt. All in all, it is coming together and looking good. Sunday was watching ny daughter perform in the rotc drill team at school then dinner with her boys for her birthday.
20240201_170249.jpg
20240201_170301.jpg
20240201_170305.jpg

Pics of the 3/4" tongue and groove USB. You can see the insulation in the background on the outside(North) wall.
20240203_161507.jpg
20240203_161513.jpg

It finally warmed up after the sun came out so I went out and got back on putting the insulation in. I finished up one wall and moved along the front wall some too. I got worn out and hot quick, so I went back inside and rested up for a bit, then I went back out and hit it again. I think I'm making good progress, but I don't know how these guys do this stuff for 8 hours a day. I wore a mask to keep the fiberglass out of my lungs and that added to the speedy fatiguing. I just have a few more spots and the engine room walls are finished.
20240205_160707.jpg
20240206_150706.jpg
20240206_150712.jpg
20240206_150722.jpg
20240206_151319.jpg
20240206_170842.jpg
20240206_170846.jpg

Wow, been really busy past few weeks, my day job exploded, got a new boss, he was moved up from same position as me, so we had to split up his dealers, and now I have 82 where I had 70 before. Anyway, this weekend was my birthday, so every year I get friends to stop by my favorite brewery Warped Wing, and we just start occupying tables and walking around socializing, it was a blast. Today is my actual BD, so out with wife and kid.
The group was amazing Saturday.
20240217_143948.jpg

Back to the room. I got all the insulation up and it was time to start drywall installation. Neil and I went to Menards and picked up 15 sheets. We came back and got started. Thank God my neighbor Jeff came down to help out, and we knocked out pretty much all of the walls on Saturday, thanks to his expertise.
20240210_114912.jpg
20240210_114918.jpg
20240210_114921.jpg
20240210_114931.jpg
20240210_114933.jpg

Sunday, we got started on the ceiling. We could not have gotten it without the drywall jack I bought at Harbour Freight that morning. I remembered most of my drywall techniques after the first few panels on the walls, so the ceiling wasn't hateful. We got a good bit knocked out and called it a day. We were beat, I mean whipped like a dog, so we called it for the day.
Yesterday we hit the ceiling hard, day after the party, lol, so we called it quits after we put up the last ceilimg panel. It is done! Now for taping and mudding, which I know Richard about. It will be a learning experience and should be fun.
20240218_154222.jpg
20240218_154213.jpg

Wow, been a while since I updated and no one noticed! Screw it, update anyway. I watched a few youtube videos about taping and mudding and after receiving my youtube certification, I jumped in and got started. I learn by doing, so as I've done this, I can't say I'm better at it, but I will say that I am not apprehensive about slinging tape and mud any longer. It is sort of like spreading filler but I'm used to a plastic spreader that I can form to what ever shape I want it to be. The stainless ones with plastic grips you use to apply mud don't want to confirm like plastic so it was a real challenge to get it to do what I wanted it to do. After the first day of cussing and stressing over this, I came to the conclusion that sanding would make a lot of this look good irregardless of how it looked now. We started sanding using foam sanding blocks and an electric sander I bought from HF. It uses a vacuum to keep dust down and works really well. Here are some pics of the progress.
20240218_154213.jpg
20240218_154222.jpg
20240224_151415.jpg
20240224_151420.jpg
20240224_151429.jpg

Here is some of the mud work and sanding we've done so far. And the absolute MESS I now have as a shop. It sucks! I can't get a car in or out currently. I absolutely have to get this **** done this week. Stuff needs to start going in rather than coming out of the engine room. It's actually worse than this picture shows, as we had to empty 2 shelving units and move them out into the shop floor so I could mud the ceiling and sand it.

20240308_151634.jpg

20240309_160002.jpg

20240309_160008.jpg

20240309_160021.jpg

20240309_160347.jpg

So after working and working with the mud, trying to make it look good, I just ran out of time. I now know what I was doing wrong and it will improve from here forward. I don't like how it turned out at all, but I couldn't waste any more time on it. It needs to be done. I bought a paint sprayer from harbor freight and 3 gallons of paint, which I thought would leave extra. Boy, was I wrong. That pos sprayer made nothing but overspray and after 3 gallons I had 2/3 of the ceiling done and not quite 3 walls. I think that thing is going back. I drove up to menatds and bought 4 more gallons, and a roller with pan kit. I poured the paint out and got to it. I started at 9 pm and finished up at 1145. I was whooped. It turned out decent. But doesn't reflect the hours of work invested. The weather really screwed me. This is a warm weather activity, lesson learned. Next is install lights in the ceiling and cabinets on the wall. Then workbench goes up and everything gets moved in.
The paint is still wet in these pics. I may have to give it another coat depending on how it looks after it dries.
20240319_183933.jpg
20240320_232401.jpg
20240320_232410.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back