• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil and temp gauge not working

doug428

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
1970 superbee 440 with rallye dash gauges
I installed updated circuit board with built in 5 volt limiter, that fixed my fuel gauge.
I grounded both temp and oil gauge for a couple seconds and they both went to full sweep.
I checked voltage out to wires on sending units and have 5 volts on each.
I installed new oil sending unit and new temp sending unit but they still dont work.
is it possible they gave me sending units made for 12 volt system not 5 volt? and would that make a difference.
the book said for 1970 mopar 440 with gauge.

oil gauge is BWD S330

what else can I check?

no, all senders work on same voltage, 5v

bet you got wrong senders....pic of senders you have here would be helpful

oil and temp sending unit.jpg
used sensor thats I took off look to be only few years old, but the gauges didnt work when I bought car, the new ones came in boxes shown and look just like old ones.

try grounding the wire beside the sender it could be bad connection through the fire wall

hook your ohm meter to stud and ground and see what reading you get also what sealer did you use as it needs to ground through the threads

do these look like correct part numbers and type of sending units anyone has used with good results

hook your ohm meter to stud and ground and see what reading you get also what sealer did you use as it needs to ground through the threads

I think the water temp showed 2.7 or.27 depending on ohm setting
(not too savey with ohm meter)

the gauge is moving a little, but only up to 120
my after market gauge reads 190

is it possible the sending unit is for 12 volt system?
that was original question. if the sending unit in the picture looks like right one.
wish I had a spare gauge to check it on.
hate to spend 90 for new gauge and not fix it.

check from the body of the sender to ground to check your ground through the threads

Hey mate just been thru same sort of thing recently on my 69 bee replaced ivr and senders got everything working for a few months till they started playing up, gauges either wouldn't work or read very low then one morning they peged out on high/full/hot with the head lights on , I checked ivr, earths, 5pin connector on cluster and finally the panel dimmer switch for dash lights and BINGO !!! By passed the dimmer switch and its all good YAY, better still my dash lights work better than before

Auto Transport Service
Back