• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok body guys...here's the game plan

jaak

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
I want to try to finish this body myself. Right now Im at the filler work stage. (the car was pretty solid had to weld in little patches here and there). So heres and outline of what I plan on doing. so if any of you body guys have any suggestions of corrections please let me know. I have gathered info from forums like this and also bodyshop forums.

-Finish filler work as close as I can with 80 grit, then block over it with 180 to cut out 80 scratches

-Prime with a Polyester Primer (Slicksand or Featherfill or something similar)

-Guidecoat and block with 180 grit

-repeat if necessary

-Prime with 2k Urethane primer, guidecoat and block with 220

-Reprime with 2k, guidecoat and block with 400

-Prime with sealer

So does that sound like a good plan? Anything I missed or any suggestions appreciated.

Jason

Heres a couple of pics. The Blue you see in the rear pic is some spray can blue I used to guide coat the tailpanel after a coat of 2K.

tmpphpc7qbn7.jpg

tmpphpwdJKzS.jpg

I wish you luck. But Paint is something that if ya gotta ask ,you dont understand

sounds like a pretty good plan.
i finish all my mud work to 150, then polyester prime x2 with 180, guidecoat in between each coat
Urethane prime x2 or 3 with 320 then 400 then 600, guidecoat in between each coat
seal & paint
just what i do

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1833.JPG

Unless you're going to paint it yourself you might want to question how far you take it yourself. no respectable body shop will gaurantee paint over your primer, you can't blame them.

I do all the work up to the point of spraying primer then let them finish it, I have a good idea what to do but I'll admit I don't have the ability to do it to my expectations. it just doesn't make sense to me to spray 1-2 grand worth of PPG primer and paint myself when the outcome will be questionable.

sounds like a pretty good plan.
i finish all my mud work to 150, then polyester prime x2 with 180, guidecoat in between each coat
Urethane prime x2 or 3 with 320 then 400 then 600, guidecoat in between each coat
seal & paint
just what i do

Thanks Alleyoopmgv, I figured I will have to go a couple of rounds with the polyester primer. I have some limited experince in bodywork, I took auto shop in school and worked in a couple of body shops in the past, but That was using old technology (laquer primer, acrylic enamel, etc.) just wanted to use updated materials and this is a list I compiled using forums, advise, etc.

Unless you're going to paint it yourself you might want to question how far you take it yourself. no respectable body shop will gaurantee paint over your primer, you can't blame them.

I do all the work up to the point of spraying primer then let them finish it, I have a good idea what to do but I'll admit I don't have the ability to do it to my expectations. it just doesn't make sense to me to spray 1-2 grand worth of PPG primer and paint myself when the outcome will be questionable.

I have painted quite a few cars, the only thing Im concerned with is finding a spray booth. There is a guy I know pretty well, that has a nice booth, I figure when I get the car ready, I will see what he charges to use it and maybe help out if he wants to. I would have loved to pay someone to do the body and paint on my car, but I can't find NO ONE local that would do it. One guy quoted me a price, so I took him the car, hell he kept it 2 years and didnt touch it, so I got it back. Ive asked a bunch of shops and they say either they'll come look at it (and of course never do) or Just say no. So I got to do it myself. I have no other options.

I've been doing this for a little over 20 years and the one thing that i have learned is it doesn't matter where you paint your car really, it's all in the prep work and prepping the place where you paint your car. I've painted in million dollar down draft bake booths and garages with a box fan. it dont matter you just have to prep the car and the enviroment good and you'll be ok.

One thing of note, always a good idea to lay down a coat of 2 part epoxy primer before laying on the primer surfacer. Whether over old painted surfaces, body filler or bare metal. It provides a solid foundation that will not move, isolates old sensitive finishes and provides excellent corrosion protection and adhesion for subsequent primer/body filler applications. If you are stripping the vehicle to bare metal, epoxy should be laid down to protect the bare steel from flash rust. The epoxy once roughed up provides an excellent foundation for body filler. Of note however, epoxy primer is not a 'sandable' primer, which means it will plug up sandpaper. The surface should be abraded before primer surfacer is applied if used as a foundation for bodyfiller.

"If you gotta ask, you don't understand" isn't accurate in my experience.

I've been painting cars since 1973 and I still ask questions......it's a great way to glean other ideas from the guys in the hobby and profession.

What my experience dictates is not necessarily the only way, or the most efficient way of getting a job done.....and at the rate of technical advancement in our paint systems, asking questions is a wise way to proceed....even for a pro.

:HappyNewYear:

Yeah I had a few frosty ones in me when i said that. I was only talking from my experience. I thought it sounded easy and spent all summer on my Dart only for it to be a disaster. I took my last project to a body man and im thrilled with the results. I didnt mean to sound like a smart ***,thats why i wished him luck.I was the guy who drew stick men in art. My nack is mechanical not artistic.

Update, I was on vacation last week and got some work done. The shell was primed with epoxy (when the guy had it 2 years, he epoxied the shell and welded in the trunk floor) I stripped the hood and doors with chemical stripper, then prepped and sprayed them with epoxy. I got most of the filler work done on the left side of the car, the left quarter and rocker was the worst, they were solid but the quarter was covered in dents/dings, and the rocker, I found a previous repair, it had bondo, nearly and inch thick in places. I dug out all the old body filler, pulled the dent out and refilled. The doors were nice just had dings all along the body line, so I masked off and skimmed each side of the line with different color hardeners (so I could "see" my repair). Still gotta finish up the right quarter not as bad as left one but still needed attention. I went back to work today so it will probably be this weekend before I can work on it again. After I finish the filler work, my plan is to prime it with Slicksand and start blocking.

Jason

Doorstripping.jpg

hoodstripped.jpg

doorwork.jpg

qtrwork.jpg

Chgr010309.jpg

doorsprimed.jpg

hoodprimed.jpg

Looks good so far! Going to work really gets in the way some times! LOL!

Looks good so far! Going to work really gets in the way some times! LOL!

Thanks alleyoopmgv, I take that as a compliment coming from you, I have seen pics of your work, very nice!!!

Later,
Jason

Maybe I can go buy some store bought balls and do mine. Hope it turns out better than you expect.

Well no updates, didnt get to work on the car this weekend :sad:
My brother was in the hospital and had to have surgery and on top of that I have been sick with a cold. Maybe next weekend.

Jason

Looking good! I can hardly wait till I am at that stage...

66 Belvedere, cool project!!! I have been looking around at 66/67's on eBay and craigslist, to see what they have been going for, I love those cars and would like to have on for my next project.

There is a nice 66 at a local car used lot, it is nice original car, it has a 273 automatic with air (it works, just needs a blower motor) nice original interior, original paint (could use a repaint, does have a little rust in the pass door and rear 1/4) all glass and trim in great shape. had like 80k original miles, Nice car. The guy wants 5500 for it and I think its worth it, just dont have the $$$ to spare at the present time.

Good luck with your project!

Jason

Thanks Jason,
I absolutely have to own a 68-70 Charger before I am done...got to be the horniest looking body style ever concieved. Love your car, and looking forward to seeing the end result...Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back