• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old guy with a question

Good luck

Looks like a nice car :thumbsup:
Since most here don't know the car,
&/or you've only posted only 9 messages in 10 years time...

A bunch more detailed photos'
& #s clarifications, photos of vin & fender tags
not just for people take your word for it, actual proof
photos of the;
interior, the underside, in the trunk, under the sail panel,
bottom of the doors, where rubber is on the glass etc.
around both the front windshield & back window/windshield,
bottom back of the front fenders
& around upper rear wheel openings,
the ridges above & behind the rear openings
where water or leaves or dirt/junk all could gather
inside too if possible
where rust is in these cars
even in some dryer western state
if you want an honest assessment of 'its perceived & true value'
it's subjective at best too
IMO, its gonna vary from state to state too
And you gotta' remember 1/2 these guys are potential buyers
(or purists) so it will be lower or vary vastly :poke:
A list of mods & parts used...

Not all of US are #s matching numbers hunters, but more info the better...

It's a tough here crowd too, don't get offended easily
especially on a phishing expedition, for value...
Thanks, all good advice, I will be more specific when I am attempting to sell it. My intent today was simply for advice, not for sale, and I appreciate all the feedback.

Nice looking car. Unfortunately, the non-original color is going to hurt the price.

The mods don’t like “what’s it worth” threads and don’t be surprised when this thread vanishes.
Like said.... is when money starts getting thrown around is when it gets deleted.
I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted already.
No one has asked how much do you want yet.
All ok until someone offers to buy it. That's when the threads disappear.

The Texas Ranger is here :lol:

You will have to post up a bunch more pics of the car including the tag and other numbers to be able to get any kind of accurate value assessment.....

Was the R/T a hardtop only car like the GTX was?

Suggest you put it in the for sale section with an aggressive price. Look at what the dealers are asking online for comparable b bodies to get a starting point. The response will give you an indicator.
This. And thank you for your service :usflag:

I have no idea what it's worth but do know you'll regret selling it. It's so nice.

If it was mine, and I could afford another car without selling that one, I'd build another shed, extend current shed or buy a hoist.

I have no idea what it's worth but do know you'll regret selling it. It's so nice.

If it was mine, and I could afford another car without selling that one, I'd build another shed, extend current shed or buy a hoist.
I'm just a few years younger than the OP, and last year I made the decision to downsize my herd. I sold two GTXs, one that I had owned twice since 1983, and a numbers matching Hemi car, replaced them with one. The story is chronicled in the thread "The One I Loved Back Then Is Available..." for anyone who hasn't read it, and wants more details. I had no options for expanding storage at my current home, and I plan to stay there until I enter a continuing care facility, for numerous reasons.

I had free offsite storage for one of the cars, which ended when I retired, didn't want to pay to store offsite. I don't regret my decision, and two fellow FBBO members got good cars out of the deal.
There are advantages to making such a move while you still have control over the situation. Far better than a great car being sold for nothing at an estate sale.

For what ever reason Hagerty has had Coronet values a lot lower than actual sales for years... Some stuff they are pretty good on, they seem biased against Coronets...

If you read the explanation Condition 3 is a pretty nice car, And that $23,100 value is for a 4 spd car... 10% less for an Auto... When was the last time a running driving reasonably nice 4 spd 68 Coronet R/T sold for $23K?

For what ever reason Hagerty has had Coronet values a lot lower than actual sales for years... Some stuff they are pretty good on, they seem biased against Coronets...

If you read the explanation Condition 3 is a pretty nice car, And that $23,100 value is for a 4 spd car... 10% less for an Auto... When was the last time a running driving reasonably nice 4 spd 68 Coronet R/T sold for $23K?
I saw that, very discouraging. I also noticed a rust bucket POS for sale for 12K.
This is my problem, there are so many different price ranges it's hard to get even a close guess.

I restored one almost identical, except black vinyl and it was originally a 500 car. No corners cut. We had figured it would be in the 45k area.
The guy wanted all the bells and whistles

I saw that, very discouraging. I also noticed a rust bucket POS for sale for 12K.
This is my problem, there are so many different price ranges it's hard to get even a close guess.
Just to give you a point of reference... A couple years ago my brother was considering selling a car I had built for him... Nice car, the bottom was/is cleaner than the top of a lot of cars, the interior is beautiful... I was asking WIW on another website focused more on that body style car... The estimates seemed really low to me but whatever.... He decided to keep the car.. Since then I've watched more closely... I've seen similar cars not nearly as nice sell for double the numbers I was being told...

Also FWIW if you ask to much you can always come down... If you ask to little someone else will flip it... It always pisses me off to see someone keep a car nice for years & sell it for what they think it's worth only to see it for sale a week later for double what the person who's kept it maintained for years got..

Last edited:
I restored one almost identical, except black vinyl and it was originally a 500 car. No corners cut. We had figured it would be in the 45k area.
The guy wanted all the bells and whistles
Thanks, good to know. This one is the real deal R/T with the charger dash.

Thanks, good to know. This one is the real deal R/T with the charger dash.
The rally dash was an option on the R/T, about 80% of R/T's got the 150 MPH sweep style dash.. Mine too got the rally cluster...

4 speeds are typically 10% higher than the values shown; automatics are the values shown.

It is interesting that the GTX is indicated to be doing better than the R/T's for sure.

4 speeds are typically 10% higher than the values shown; automatics are the values shown.

Actually from the link you provided -10% for auto
But then they add 20% for 4 spd....
And deduct 20% for 6 cyl...

Clearly who ever is doing valuations for Hagerty doesn't know squat about what R/T's were...
thumbnail_IMG_8408.jpg

Actually from the link you provided -10% for auto
But then they add 20% for 4 spd....
And deduct 20% for 6 cyl...

Clearly who ever is doing valuations for Hagerty doesn't know squat about what R/T's were...
View attachment 1560724
Yes, again - the values shown for the R/T are a bit unique for sure.
That said, I'd say their numbers are as good as anyones', since they are in no small part based on actual
market numbers:
Classic Car, Truck and Motorcycle Values | Hagerty Valuation Tool®

Auto Transport Service
Back