• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One brake doesn't light

hassyfoto

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Ok, the turn lamps and running lights work, but the right brake light will not light.
Things that I have checked;
brake stop switch and connectors
all the connectors from the brake switch to the steering column to the driver's kick panel connector
Checked and replaced all the 1157 bulbs with new ones
Checked the high beam switch on the floor
Checked the wire harness and connectors at the back of the car.

Need some suggestions here on testing and other things to look for.

Thanks

Assuming there is no power to the light socket when the brakes are applied, start from the tail light and with a multi-meter or circuit test light, work your way forward until you find power. I'm guessing it's in the column switch. R&R.

There is also a rear wiring harness connector on the driver side, rear seat area, under the carpet.

If turn signal works it is in steering column
you need to fix turn signal assembly or replace

First thing to do is, check all your grounds.

he stated that the turn signal and running lights work...that means the grounds are good...

To Hassy, have you had someone step on the brake and move the turn signal switch through both positions and looked at rear lights?

you also failed to mention what kind of car we are trying to fix over the Internet without proper info

turn signal switch. have someone stand at the back of the car. put the brakes on, and slowly move the turn lever. mine did this, I could move the lever and one side brake light would work, then both, then the other side.

Sorry about that, the car is a 66 Charger.
I had a board holding the brake pedal down & i went through the left & right turn signal with the running lights on & off. I did check all connectors and the grounds. Re-cleaned the area of the grounds and wire wheeled the screws just to make sure everything had a good contact. Except for the steering column and the taillight harness the remainder of the vehicle wire harness has been replaced new from YearOne.
I do not have power to the right taillight when all other lights are off and only the brake is applied.
I did not pull the steering column to check for power there, so, where would I set the probe ends to check for power for one brake light inside the steering column. Since the general consensus appears the column turn signal switch may be the issue, I would like to make sure
Thanks to everyone for responding so far.

You can find the wiring diagram here, http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27. Using a test light, start from the brake switch, then follow the diagram and test the connectors and wires (when possible) all the way back to the lamp. As you can see, there is a connector for the directional switch so you should be able to disconnect and test power going in and going out. Just follow the circuit(s) and you will find the problem. It seems that your grounds are OK and there is not a short to ground.

Hassy, are you talking about just the far right light or all 3 lights on the right side do not work?

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a rear wiring harness connector on the driver side, rear seat area, under the carpet.

no, there is not

Hassy, are you talking about just the far right light or all 3 lights on the right side do not work?

- - - Updated - - -

no, there is not

Ummm, yes there is. On MY 69 Bee, under the carpet edge, on the left side, under the wiring channel, below the rear quarter window inside panel.

Um, no there is not...maybe read what kind of car he has

Um, no there is not...maybe read what kind of car he has

I understand that. My original comment was made before he let us know what car he was working on, and was purely based on my own experience with my 69 SuperBee.

Ok,
I replaced the turn signal unit and I have brake lights. Now I do not have "ANY" taillight running lights.
Both blinkers work and brake lights work. NO running lights just on the taillights. Running lights are working on the front of the car.
Auuuuuuugh !!!!!!
So far this is what I have completed;
replaced turn signal indicator unit ( new reproduction from Classic)
Cleaned the connectors from the steering column to the main wire harness
brake stop switch and connectors
all the connectors from the brake switch to the steering column to the driver's kick panel connector
Checked and replaced all the 1157 bulbs with new ones
Checked the high beam switch on the floor
Checked the wire harness and connectors at the back of the car.
I just replaced the light switch, again, today.
I need to get this fixed ASAP so the car can be driven.
Thanks

he stated that the turn signal and running lights work...that means the grounds are good...
Not necessarily. I don't recall, since it's been over 40 years when I worked on a 66 Charger, but, does the taillight housing require a ground to body ?

it is grounded to body with the 20+ studs and nuts that hold it in....if the other lights didn't work, then yes, suspect a ground....but he says other lights work except the right, so the housing is grounded....but he has not answered if it's all 3 on the right or just the far right single bulb

What became of this? I aske because I replaced my turn signal switch with a Daniel Stern replacement and EVERYTHING worked great until just recently my driver side 3 brake lights dont work unless I manipulate the damn turn signal switch....AGAIN.....I hate to think the costly supposedly good (daniel stearn) turn signal switch went out in less than a few months.

How about the fuse in the glove box? Maybe cig lighter and parking lights both same circuit like mine.

How about the fuse in the glove box? Maybe cig lighter and parking lights both same circuit like mine.

I can get it to work by wiggling, cycling and playing with the turn signal switch just havin a hard time believing the new turn signal switch already took a dump it was working so well. Might have to do like A383 wing and buy the cheapy off ebay

Auto Transport Service
Back