• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open Road racing anyone?

Chris Gal

Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
While most post here are for drag racing, I'm looking for information and suggestions on setting up a car for open road racing, i.e. suspension, engine, gearing etc. The long distance high speed runs require a different set up and equipment. What have you used/recommend?
Anyone have any experience in this form of racing?

I definitely am interested in this type of racing, not that I do it but I really like the concept. I like drag racing back when I was a kid, but later in life I became very interested in autoX and road racing. Again, I have yet to do much of it but I did do a little AutoX once and really enjoyed it.

So, do you have a car to start with or is this "toe in the water" type deal? Are you thinking dedicated race car or HP street car?

I did road racing from 1994 - 1999. First with my 94 Viper RT 10 and then in 1996 with my 96 Viper coupe. We have the Talladega Grand Prix Track within 60 miles of me, but have been to most tracks in the Southeast. More expensive than wrenching on these old cars. There is also Barber Motor Sports Park in Birmingham, AL. Its about 85 miles from me. On the Vipers, I just bolted on 4 slicks and went racing as Chrysler said you could do. I made some mods, air intake and exhaust, but not much else. Maintenance between track days, was 3-5 hundred not including tires. I never broke anything major, but did have a off the track experience in Savannah Ga. and ended up in the tire wall sideways, which set me back 3 grand.

I do have a 68 Dart GTS big block car that with another tire wheel combo does quite well at autocross tracks, but that doesn't happen much around here anymore. On it I added a 1 1/4 front sway bar, bigger torsion bars, and a rear sway bar. Lowered the car about 2" from stock and a firm feel PS box. The 451 stroker with a 6-pak give it enough power to hang the rearend anywhere you want it. It would do much better with a stick, but I didn't go there.

Ive thought about taking my viper out many times, but I am always in the middle of a car build, I really do need to get off my butt and got out and do it. We have a road course not too far away and autox is pretty popular around here in the summer months.

Ive thought about taking my viper out many times, but I am always in the middle of a car build, I really do need to get off my butt and got out and do it. We have a road course not too far away and autox is pretty popular around here in the summer months.
I quit racing the Viper when, they went from the 17" tires to 18's. I had special wheels for the track and could by scuffs from a NASCAR program for $100 apiece. I could have bought the 18's for about the same, but refused to buy the wheels needed. So when I could not get the 17's anymore, I ended it. A typical track weekend took about 6 tires.

I can certainly understand, there isn't much racing that isn't stupid expensive. I really liked AutoX (what little of it I did), pretty easy on the car overall I think.

Thought this was about road racing as in close a section of road and go racing. Like in 20 second miles.

Yep I think so. Not much into racing others any more. Just going to see what the best the car and myself can do would be good enough.

Yep I think so. Not much into racing others any more. Just going to see what the best the car and myself can do would be good enough.
All the Viper events I competed in were against the clock and all autocross events are the same.

Lookup Alltime Racing, Tim Herron. He’s the road race guru for Mopars. Several other members here have tried their hand on a road course.

I definitely am interested in this type of racing, not that I do it but I really like the concept. I like drag racing back when I was a kid, but later in life I became very interested in autoX and road racing. Again, I have yet to do much of it but I did do a little AutoX once and really enjoyed it.

So, do you have a car to start with or is this "toe in the water" type deal? Are you thinking dedicated race car or HP street car?
I'm building a Superbird Race replica (street legal) and ultimately want to run in the unlimited class. I've run the slower classes in my BMW and it is a blast!

Read up on Andy Finkbeiner, Andyf here and on Moparts. He had a wicked valiant and detailed his build. Also has written several books. Has his own company, AR Engineering. Writes articles for Mopar Action, Hotrod Magazine etc. And accessible “normal guy” stuff, not million dollar builds. Frequent poster too. Seriously- take the time and read up on it. Here is a sample:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1204-1968-plymouth-valiant-track-day-prep/

http://arengineering.com/tech/
Thanks for the info. I'll look that up!

Auto Transport Service
Back