• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Exhaust Manifolds for a 1970 Coronet R/T

RT70

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
I have an exhaust problem and I hope some of you Mopar (experts) folks can help me out. I have posted a number of questions over the last year and have got excellent advice from the people on this forum.

I have a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T, and this is my first Mopar. The engine is a 440 Magnum coupled to a 727 Trans. The engine has headers, and I want to put the original exhaust manifolds back on. I have a number of questions as I am just learning about Mopars.

When I bought the R/T it came with a bunch of parts. There were a set of what looks like the original exhaust manifolds? I have attached a couple photos of the manifolds. The Right Manifold has these numbers on it “12297 2806900”, and the Left Manifold has these numbers on it “1228670 2843992-1”. Are these the correct exhaust manifolds for a 440HP in a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T, and could someone decode these numbers?

On Sec._11-7, Fig._8, in the 1970 Dodge Coronet Service Manual, it shows an Upper Carburetor Air Heater and a Lower Carburetor Air Heater. These parts did not come with my R/T; do I need to have these parts for my car to operate properly? If I do need these Air Heater parts, where can I find them? In looking for exhaust parts from various Mopar vendors, I saw a “Spark Plug Heat Shield” for #6 & #8 Plugs; is this part needed? I also saw many exhaust hardware mounting kits; anyone have a recommended Mopar vendor for these?

What color should the exhaust manifolds be painted?

The “Heat Control Valve” appears to be in good shape; is there a recommended lubricant?

If anyone has any advice that would make this project go better or problems I might run into; I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Richard

IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1106.JPG

The manifolds that you have are from 1968-1969 440 magnum..they list part # 2899879 right side and #291865 left side fro a 1970-1971 b-c body 440. The color is just what you have there.I got my information from a site called mymopar.com and there is a list of all the numbers and years for our cars.I hope this helps....Those manifolds would be just fine for your car. I don't really know about your other questions....

70 manifolds have a different exit angle on (if I recall correctly) the pass side. If you are ordering prebent pipes that's good to know info.

Numbers correct: NO Date correct: NO

Previous poster above listed the correct numbers...Also, if your looking for date code be sure to get the correct month/year based on your cars build date...The dates on the two do not have to match....

You can use those and when you order your exhaust be sure to relay your casting numbers...In any event they are in very nice shape with readable pm's and dates with minimal pitting...

The manifolds that you have are from 1968-1969 440 magnum..they list part # 2899879 right side and #291865 left side fro a 1970-1971 b-c body 440. The color is just what you have there.I got my information from a site called mymopar.com and there is a list of all the numbers and years for our cars.I hope this helps....Those manifolds would be just fine for your car. I don't really know about your other questions....

bschomske, Thanks for the info, and I'll check out that "mymopar" site. Richard

70 manifolds have a different exit angle on (if I recall correctly) the pass side. If you are ordering prebent pipes that's good to know info.

tallhair, Thanks for the info on the passenger side angle difference. I probably wouldn't of found out till I was installing the manifold. Richard

Numbers correct: NO Date correct: NO

Previous poster above listed the correct numbers...Also, if your looking for date code be sure to get the correct month/year based on your cars build date...The dates on the two do not have to match....

You can use those and when you order your exhaust be sure to relay your casting numbers...In any event they are in very nice shape with readable pm's and dates with minimal pitting...

moparnation74, Appreciate the heads up on the "Dates" information. Richard

moparnation74, Appreciate the heads up on the "Dates" information. Richard
No problem...Thats a nice set you have....If you sell those you should go above what others are asking btw....dues to condition and readable numbers and dates....

No problem...Thats a nice set you have....If you sell those you should go above what others are asking btw....dues to condition and readable numbers and dates....

moparnation74, I plan on using them once I got all my parts and info together. If I do order a complete exhaust system, do you have any recommendations? R

Auto Transport Service
Back