• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P/s

Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
hi. I've had my p/s pump rebuilt, got a new valve for gear box, now to flush system and put new fluid in, is there a way of drain existing fluid out of steering gear ?
65 Satellite. Thank you

The steering box itself has no drain plug.

With a friend....
Install the P/S pump and plumb the pressure line into the steering box. The return line into a (oil) pan. Plug or hold the return port on the P/S pump and fill. Have a friend start the car.

Once the engine is running, quickly turn the wheels side to side. You will be running fresh fluid very quickly. The P/S pump, pumps a lot of fluid very quickly.

The steering box itself has no drain plug.

With a friend....
Install the P/S pump and plumb the pressure line into the steering box. The return line into a (oil) pan. Plug or hold the return port on the P/S pump and fill. Have a friend start the car.

Once the engine is running, quickly turn the wheels side to side. You will be running fresh fluid very quickly. The P/S pump, pumps a lot of fluid very quickly.
Thanks. So take the low pressure rubber hose off at ( pump) not at steering gear,? Thanks. That I assume flushes out and dirt etc in steering gear

Yes, cap the end of hold your finger on it to prevent fluid leakage. This method will have the pump flush the box out. Very quickly!

Auto Transport Service
Back