• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon 5 speed

SMack

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on swapping to a passson 4 speed OD
70 SuperBee
511 roller
6pack
Stock 4 speed
Moser Dana 60 with 4:10’s
Full nut/ bolt resto
I’m thinking the 5 speed would be the cherry on top of a killer resto and stronger than the stock but fresh A883.
Cars putting 525 hp / 537 tq to the wheels so I’m thinking the stock tranny is weak link.

Thoughts ?

I have been looking at that transmission myself. I believe the A833 is plenty strong for your application, but the Passon is likely a little bit better. It basically makes your 3rd gear 4th & your 4th gear overdrive. I've heard good things about that transmission.

I have a friend who's running one, he loves it on the freeway but says there's no perfect gear for town driving, makes perfectly good sense given how they accomplish OD in a 4 speed transmission.

I would love one (despite my well-reported issues with that company in recent past) but for two reasons:
a. Pricy as hell ($5500 retail)
b. Unobtanium - wait list is pretty darn long, last I checked

http://www.5speedmuscle.com/
I think this guy is now assembling and selling the 5 speed. Someone recently bought one and said it was in stock ready to ship. If they could bring it in for $1000 less I'd be a player.
Maybe some used units will start trickling out into the market after a bit.

I think this guy is now assembling and selling the 5 speed. Someone recently bought one and said it was in stock ready to ship. If they could bring it in for $1000 less I'd be a player.
Pretty interesting that someone along with Jamie is so involved in the A855, but I say whatever gets them available and in the market, at the same level of quality, is good by me.
My A855 is outstanding. Under all circumstances it shifts great. The 18 spline A833 is my point of comparison, and my A833 was worked over by Jamie and shifted great too!
I don't really have to think much when I'm power shifting either transmission down the 1320.
Very soon after installing the A855 I changed out my 3.54 R&P to the 4.10 I have now. Went from 3500 RPM in 4th at 75 MPH with the 3.54 to 2750 in 5th with the 4.10, and 1st-4th are a lot more fun!
The 855 is a little noisy in the lowest gears, but that doesn't mean anything compared to the fit and function of the 855, which are outstanding, and I plan a 6XX plus HP and torque engine, which I am confident the 855 will handle with no worries.

Jaime is a fine gent and is 100% for the customer......

He did the unthinkable to repair the housing for my GTX when no one else was able to do so. It took a long wait but due to that he only charged me shipping cost.......

I personally have not used one but I have friends that are very happy with them.

This is a viable solution and way more fun... https://www.gearvendors.com/hrdodge4sm.html
That has always intrigued me, but I chose the A855 anyway. The design, materials, quality and performance of the A855 are second to NONE, and I paid over 5k to back up my position on it. As great and strong as my 18 spline 833 is, the 855 inspires confidence now and when I get my high powered stroker in front of it as well.

SMack, which transmission are you referring to: the A855 (Jamie’s own 5 speed) or the 4 speed A833 with overdrive gearing in 4th? These are two different things. The The 5 speed is a new, aluminum bodied beauty developed by Passon. The 4 speed OD is an A833 with different gearing to make highway cruising more manageable especially with 4.10s or numerically higher gears.

I recently bought a manual conversion for my GTX and I considered the OD unit. The 5 speed’s cost and wait time made it not a consideration for me, but it sure is nice. Even though I’ve got 4.10s, I opted for normal gearing. I thought about my use (mostly around town cruising), and realized the effective loss of a gear around town wasn’t worth the benefit of an occasional highway cruise at low RPM. All depends on your intended use. If you are doing long distance drives, the OD gearing may be best.

As for your stock A833, others here know more, but I think it’s capable of handling the 525 hp you’re throwing at it. Do you plan on racing at the track? If so, do you plan to run slicks?

When I did my 4 speed swap, I drove from the middle of Ohio to Jamie Passon’s place in Pennsylvania.
I bought an 18 spline trans, bell housing, cover, z bar, speedo gear and a slew more bits and pieces.
I know that is a bit off topic, but just saying that Jamie is a pleasure to deal with and delivers top notch stuff.

If you go on the website, it explains the relationship between them and Passon. Seems like they were the original collaborators with Passon on the A855 and then another "investor" got involved. Whatever the story is, it seems that production should be speeding up and maybe cost will then come down.

Jamie Passon has sacrificed more than probably any of you know in his dedication and commitment to the A855 5 speed, along with the substantial volume of business he has for all of the other MOPAR things he sells and does.
SMack, which transmission are you referring to: the A855 (Jamie’s own 5 speed) or the 4 speed A833 with overdrive gearing in 4th? These are two different things. The The 5 speed is a new, aluminum bodied beauty developed by Passon. The 4 speed OD is an A833 with different gearing
Big difference.
For me, the O.D. 4th gear modded A833 was not in the mix.
To me that would limit me to 3 gears, just like an auto trans, through the 1320. I prefer go through 4 gears in the 1320, with 4th taking me from roughly the 1/8th mile to across the finish line. That has been my experience with the A855, my current 17" x 9" w wheels and 315/35/17 Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials I have right now. I ran about 5 times down a 1/8th mile track and had to grab 4th to make the 1/8th mile, but I can make the finish line in the 1/4 mile in 4th as well without hitting the 6,200 RPM rev limiter. That is a whole lot of crappy runs for a variety of reasons, mostly traction problems, so 100% confidence in crossing the 1320 mark in 4th has not yet been achieved because I don't know how it will shake out if I get a really good launch and a really good run. I'm concerned that may push the RPMs up beyond what I have experienced so far.

Jamie Passon has sacrificed more than probably any of you know in his dedication and commitment to the A855 5 speed, along with the substantial volume of business he has for all of the other MOPAR things he sells and does.

Big difference.
For me, the O.D. 4th gear modded A833 was not in the mix.
To me that would limit me to 3 gears, just like an auto trans, through the 1320. I prefer go through 4 gears in the 1320, with 4th taking me from roughly the 1/8th mile to across the finish line. That has been my experience with the A855, my current 17" x 9" w wheels and 315/35/17 Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials I have right now. I ran about 5 times down a 1/8th mile track and had to grab 4th tohobb make the 1/8th mile, but I can make the finish line in the 1/4 mile in 4th as well without hitting the 6,200 RPM rev limiter. That is a whole lot of crappy runs for a variety of reasons, mostly traction problems, so 100% confidence in crossing the 1320 mark in 4th has not yet been achieved because I don't know how it will shake out if I get a really good launch and a really good run. I'm concerned that may push the RPMs up beyond what I have experienced so far.

I agree. The Mopar world owes a debt of gratitude to Jamie and people like him. I know that his business is demanding and it's cost him a lot. If the A855 was in my budget, and I wasn't so impatient to convert the auto to manual, I would have gone with the 5 speed. I don't have the skills, tools or time to do the conversion myself, so I needed to budget for the install too. Anyway, after consulting with Jamie, as well as the installer, it seemed the stock gearing A833 was the way to go for me.

I had the same feeling as you: the OD transmission effectively gives you a 3 speed in normal driving, as well as in the 1/4. I do see the upside for those who drive their cars long distances at highway speeds. I'm not sure if that's the OP's need?

What RPM are you launching at? Are you having traction issues at launch, down the track or both? Have you done anything to the rear suspension (springs, traction bars, etc.)?

What RPM are you launching at? Are you having traction issues at launch, down the track or both? Have you done anything to the rear suspension (springs, traction bars, etc.)?
Short answer is at launch and in 1st gear. Stock suspension, 3 way adjustable CEE-2730 rear shocks, 18 way double adjustable Viking front shocks. Just about anything over 1200 at launch and I'm spinning. Best consistent launch is rolling out a few feet just easy and then stand on it.
I have to get my carbs straight (still) since I had Promax mod them.
By the time the track opens, I want to have the tune as good as possible, the Innovate O2 sensor system installed and the front suspension changed out for the QA1 setup I have. I will feel better if the front suspension is finished, and I will have to make myself make that happen before I go racing and put it off.
I have a lot of info in this thread:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...105-7-edit-ordered-wideband-o2-system.162123/

I'll add to Jamie's dedication. He works really hard to go above and beyond for a specialty market of, let's face it, tough customers (us Mopar lovers).

I had my trans rebuilt by him and he did a great job. he was responsive, and it was done when he said it would be. No mystery, no BS. He also replaced a faulty clutch disc that he sold to me without a moment of hesitation. Showed him the problem and he just walked into the shop and gave me another one. And when my bellhousing broke he opened his shop up on Memorial Day just so I could grab one from him.

Dude is bad ***. If you need something, he's going to help and go above and beyond. I wish the 5 speed thing was cheaper/easier/quicker for everyone to obtain too, but such is life.

Auto Transport Service
Back