• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston Ring Assy Lube

Garys1969RR

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
What is the recommended lubricant for piston rings and skirts on a new engine assembly? I have heard WD 40, 5W engine oil, ring assy lube etc. I have used 10W40 oil in the past with good results and ring seal. What do you guys use? Thanks

I use 10w40 motor oil with a small amount of Royal Purple assembly lube added in.
Tim

Just a few drops of oil in the ring grooves before installing the rings. Rub a little on the skirt with your fingers. Clean bores with trans fluid until the rag stays red. Then WD40 on the bores. 30 years plus using this method with excellent results.
Doug

I use what ever engine oil I am going to use in the motor.
Same here...but, I've always dipped the assembled piston in a can of the oil. Let drain what it will, then stab it.
Rings, ring grooves, and piston skirt coated with oil. And, a hand rub of oil in the cylinder, too.
50 years doing the like.

Same here...but, I've always dipped the assembled piston in a can of the oil. Let drain what it will, then stab it.
Rings, ring grooves, and piston skirt coated with oil. And, a hand rub of oil in the cylinder, too.
50 years doing the like.

I use to do this 40 years ago.

Just a few drops of oil in the ring grooves before installing the rings. Rub a little on the skirt with your fingers. Clean bores with trans fluid until the rag stays red. Then WD40 on the bores. 30 years plus using this method with excellent results.
Doug

I've done this on my last couple of engines.

This just does not seem like a critical aspect to a good running engine.

I will say that I've always used the ATF on paper towel for cleaning the bores. I'll do it over and over and over again, until the it appears clean. Then let it sit for a day with ATF on the cylinders, and do it again. And then a third time. The ATF will continue to pull grit out of the bores. It is amazing.

First few engines I built, (1972) I used the piston submerged in oil method. Then the last 2, just squirted oil on the rings and skirts. I like the ATF cleaning of the bores idea, I'll do that on the 512 I'm building now, then WD-40 the walls. I think with less lube on the new ring and bore finishes, that helps the rings seat more quickly.

I must agree with Gary, do not apply too much lubricant on piston rings.
They need the direct contact with the cylinder wall during break-in period to seat as fast as possible.
Slapping them full of oil does not help the break-in, you will glaze the cylinder wall and polish it to a beautiful finish which is what you don't want.

Auto Transport Service
Back