• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

popping in exhaust?

440fish

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Did a search and couldn't find anything relevant to what I experienced yesterday in my SB. Just cruising along in the 2-3k rpms it would have a steady popping coming from the exhaust (under the car) system. My guess is unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting? Car ran great when i got on it so not down on power. Also idled fine. This just started randomly and i have not touched anything.

Build is a low mile 493 stroker, RPM Heads, Six pack. MSD ignition.

Where should i start? Plugs? Coil?

Timing and ignition would be where I would start. The roadrunner did that last summer after new plugs, wires and cap. Had me scratching my head for a couple of days then I found out that the cap wasn't on straight and it bent the rotor contact. It's usually the simple things. Check on the easy stuff first and go from there

This may be off-base but instead of "popping" was it a continuous light miss or bucking sensation by chance at steady cruise? Too much ignition advance at cruise speed with all the advance in and vacuum advance on top of it can cause this. But if no vacuum advance on your car and if it was audible popping then it wasn't this.

Thanks for the advise guys. Appreciate it!

Update

On my way to work I took a quick look under the hood to see if anything obvious was amiss. When checking the plug wires I discovered one was almost completely off at the distributor (pushed it a good 1/2” until it clicked onto the distributor cap .) I’m guessing this would cause some intermittent spark to one cylinder.

Have to test drive but I’m thinking this was the culprit.

Thanks for the advise guys. Appreciate it!

Update

On my way to work I took a quick look under the hood to see if anything obvious was amiss. When checking the plug wires I discovered one was almost completely off at the distributor (pushed it a good 1/2” until it clicked onto the distributor cap .) I’m guessing this would cause some intermittent spark to one cylinder.

Have to test drive but I’m thinking this was the culprit.
Like I said, usually the simple things

Auto Transport Service
Back