• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering box leaks

beanhead

May I Land My Kinky Machine
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like the box leaks from around the front where the return hose block attatches. Haven't pulled it off yet, but is there a gasket or seals that I can replace or am I headed for a rebuild(ouch)..thanks! 68 plymouth/440/with the original power steering box

Two small o-rings between the return hose fitting and the control valve. Also, the hose fitting is prone to cracking if the box has spent any time out of the car, inspect closely.

Hi guys, looks like the box leaks from around the front where the return hose block attatches. Haven't pulled it off yet, but is there a gasket or seals that I can replace or am I headed for a rebuild(ouch)..thanks! 68 plymouth/440/with the original power steering box

Hey beanhead, I JUST got finished sealing up my leak last weekend in exactly the same spot. I got a set of the correct O-rings from "Steer & Gear" for $5 + $2 handling in an envelope. The ones I got from Advance Auto Parts were the wrong rubber and started leaking in 2 days. Well worth the $7 to fix it in my mind.

Hey beanhead, I JUST got finished sealing up my leak last weekend in exactly the same spot. I got a set of the correct O-rings from "Steer & Gear" for $5 + $2 handling in an envelope. The ones I got from Advance Auto Parts were the wrong rubber and started leaking in 2 days. Well worth the $7 to fix it in my mind.
Cool thanks, that was gonna be my next question....who has em!

++1, never heard anything bad about steer&gear.

Cool thanks, that was gonna be my next question....who has em!

The O-rings aren't listed on their site. Just give customer service a call. Very helpful though the guy said, "I sort of feel bad for charging you $5 for two O-rings".......I bought two sets "just in case".....sealed perfectly & are holding up for over 2 weeks now.

The O-rings aren't listed on their site. Just give customer service a call. Very helpful though the guy said, "I sort of feel bad for charging you $5 for two O-rings".......I bought two sets "just in case".....sealed perfectly & are holding up for over 2 weeks now.
Yes that's the plan... since I'm taking stuff apart I'm also going to get the three for the high pressure valve on top also... To at least make it worth the shipping! thanks again

I know this is an old post but I emailed them asking for a Seal kit for a 68. They quoted me 45$ just for the steering box seal kit. Not sure if Im getting what you got or if the price has jumped 40$ lol

I know this is an old post but I emailed them asking for a Seal kit for a 68. They quoted me 45$ just for the steering box seal kit. Not sure if Im getting what you got or if the price has jumped 40$ lol
I've since learned that the small o-rings can be had at a local hydraulic supply shop for about 10 cents a piece...the steer and gear kit you mention will have all the seals for the internals of the gear. If you just need o-rings for the valve blocks on the outside of the gear I recommend you check around your area if you haven't already ordered the full kit!

Auto Transport Service
Back