• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering, no pressure?

funknut

Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi All, I could use some help troubleshooting.

1968 Charger, 440 with what looks to be a TRW pump. I have the Tallon hydroboost setup as well, so high pressure out of p/s pump into brake booster, then high pressure from brake booster to p/s gear box.

Up until a few weeks ago everything was fine. Then I started to notice at startup when idling there wasn't much power to the steering, but once I got it moving even a little bit things seemed back to normal. Takes 5-15 seconds to clear up. No issues with the brakes until today.

Fired up this morning just fine, again a little struggle with power steering just until I got out of the driveway then everything was fine. Parked at our local cars & coffee event and hung out for an hour to 90 mins.

Leaving the event, no power steering at all. I pulled out thinking it was the typical slow to get power to the steering issue, but then the steering didn't return and now no power assist to the brakes.

I pulled over and opened the p/s reservoir and the level was exactly where I'd expect it to be, but I didn't see any fluid moving. Checked over all the lines and no drips or leaks.

Got a tow home and removed the p/s pump and it does not appear that the pulley is spinning on the shaft. When I spin the pulley by hand I hear the pump moving/clicking.

I'm looking for opinions on next steps. I have no reason to believe there are any problems in the hydroboost unit, or blockages in the lines. I'd imagine if the pump was working and there was any blockage in the system I'd have a hose or fitting let go and fluid everywhere.

Does this point to a pump failure? If so, what are my best options? Get my current pump tested and rebuilt, or are there better pumps out there?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0555.jpg

No mention of pressure testing anything. An open line doesnt develop pressure.
Does the pump even pump fluid? If not could be as simple as a open bypass valve in the pump.

Ok, thanks for the input. I did some more reading and looked through the service manual and I'm not sure I'm up to disassembling or rebuilding it myself. I'll see about finding a shop that can handle testing/rebuilding it and go from there.

Had the pump rebuilt by Steer and Gear and received it yesterday. Rebuilder said it wasn't maintaining pressure.

FWIW, I got it back 5 weeks to the day it was received by S&G. Estimate was "2-3 weeks."

Just a quick update. Installed the rebuilt pump on Saturday and was not making pressure. Looking in the reservoir no fluid appeared to be moving. Called Steer and Gear on Monday and spoke to Carmen and they are building another to send my way.

Bummer that the pump is not working but both Linda and Carmen have been very nice to work with.

Just a quick update. Installed the rebuilt pump on Saturday and was not making pressure. Looking in the reservoir no fluid appeared to be moving. Called Steer and Gear on Monday and spoke to Carmen and they are building another to send my way.

Bummer that the pump is not working but both Linda and Carmen have been very nice to work with.
You did prime the pump before connecting the lines and then purged the remainder of the air in the system with the front wheels off the ground?
If not it is a fluid pump. It will not compress air.

Thanks for your reply.

I did prime the pump by hand and it was moving some fluid out the high pressure port. I installed the pump and did jack the front end off the ground and turn the wheels side to side several times while watching the reservoir. Started it up and watched the pump. The fluid level only changed a small amount and there wasn't any fluid moving in the reservoir. Put the front wheels down and no power assist to either brakes or steering.

Not sure what else I can test or try at this point but if you have any ideas I'm all ears.

Dont think turning the pump by hand will purge it. With out the high pressure hose disconnected. It just pushing unnessary air to the sector. Also after the pump has purged put the return line in a different container till all air is purged.
Pumps do not like aeated fluid.

Finally got around to installing the new pump and life is good again. Based on the amount of flow I can see in the reservoir this pump flows a lot more volume than my old one ever did.

Thanks for all the advice, I learned a lot through this process. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back