• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering pump winning

badbird

Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
2004 5.7 Hemi truck engine in a 1970 Belvedere wagon. Used a new pump and tank with modified pressure (57F269) and a cooler from Bouchillon, when started the pump whined fairly loud after 2000 RPM, idle was fine, thought it had air in it so I cycled it Lt and Rt several times still whined, after revving it a few times the return line blew off the PS box ( factory). Any thoughts as to why it does this?

wagon.jpg

Are you using the OEM 2004 PS pump? If so, it may be outputting too much pressure for the 1970 steering gear. Just my quick thoughts.
Mike

The line blew off most likely due to a defect in the line or bad connection. I doubt your pump is producing enough pressure to blow up a good line especially on the return side.

Now the whining is something else, and it is possible that the stock box is providing enough restriction to cause this however how many hundreds if no thousands of people of done this swap with success so I am thinking it is perhaps the pump itself.

Are you using the OEM 2004 PS pump? If so, it may be outputting too much pressure for the 1970 steering gear. Just my quick thoughts.
Mike
The pump has been modified by Bouchillon to cut down the pressure , by how much I don't know, phoning them tomorrow to see iof they can explain

Mike
I doubt that. I ran my 2004 stock high pressure power steering pump for a good 15 years with the stock power steering gear in my 70 Cuda and never had a problem.

I doubt that. I ran my 2004 stock high pressure power steering pump for a good 15 years with the stock power steering gear in my 70 Cuda and never had a problem.
I've read several guys who had problems and some who haven't, I used a Bouchillon reduced pressure pump (2004 Truck) and had the return line blow off, had to change from the factory style clamp to a worm clamp to keep it on. Are you using a cooler?

I've read several guys who had problems and some who haven't, I used a Bouchillon reduced pressure pump (2004 Truck) and had the return line blow off, had to change from the factory style clamp to a worm clamp to keep it on. Are you using a cooler?
Nope, no cooler.

Auto Transport Service
Back