• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump

BubbaMope

Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
I am replacing the powers steering pump in my 70 Belvedere with LA motor. For some reason the pulley does not line up, its a good inch off. I think I could correct this by cutting down the spacer but not sure if I'd create some odd angle.
The pump is a brand new Saginaw unit from Classic. From my tape measure and calibrated eye ball it is almost identical to the old pump. I ordered a new pulley kit from CVF racing, it should be here today. Al little bling won't hurt as long as it fits right.

I ran into a similar problem adding power steering to my big block. I'm pretty sure my issue was the hodge-podge of parts I have on the motor. However, in your case, I suggest you double check your brackets & how you bolted it up. (for example, did it line up OK before you swapped the pump & did you put it back together the same way?....double check at least). After that, maybe go ahead & cut your spacer....why not? I ended up using a stack of washers in various places to line up my pulley, on both the pump/bracket connection AND the bracket/block connection.

There is a real place called Pulley Hell with LA motors at least. There are as many different pulleys as there are stars in the sky.

Big and small block pulleys have a different offset. Might have the wrong one.
That was the thing, all the same parts going back on, only changed the pump. I'm going to make something work!

I ran into a similar problem adding power steering to my big block. I'm pretty sure my issue was the hodge-podge of parts I have on the motor. However, in your case, I suggest you double check your brackets & how you bolted it up. (for example, did it line up OK before you swapped the pump & did you put it back together the same way?....double check at least). After that, maybe go ahead & cut your spacer....why not? I ended up using a stack of washers in various places to line up my pulley, on both the pump/bracket connection AND the bracket/block connection.
In my case I was using all the same parts I took off. The only thing I changed was the pump. I did have to clearance a bracket on the back of the pump due to the return line being shaped a bit different. I did not touch the 2 brackets on the engine... No sweat, I'll just do like the Brand X guys, go down to 7-11 and get a Big Gulp and a power steering pump pulley. Maybe a set of heads while I'm there.

That was the thing, all the same parts going back on, only changed the pump. I'm going to make something work!

I guess then double check all your pump vs. pump dimensions. I also thought of something else.... are you SURE you got the pulley completely seated on the pump?

Auto Transport Service
Back