• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem, new battery but won't turn over.

fwi

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
This is on my 64, slant 6, 3 on the tree.
Just installed a new battery to replace the 12 year old one that was in the car (and still worked).
Turned the key on, gas gauge came up, heard a click (not starter motor click) then nothing else. Checked battery cables for proper tightness, again, gauges came on, click and nothing.
Turned the key back on this time no gauges, no click.
If I reset battery cables, gauges come on, one click.....nothing.
Checked battery voltage, it's showing 13.8 V.
What is going on?????

Volt meter. To starter relay then to the starter do you have voltage. Next how is the main ground.

Just a long shot, dont assume battery lug terminals are ok if you dont see corrosion. There can be a bad connection and all sorts of corrosion under the rubber coating of the cable were it enters the terminal. Ive seen it happen more that a few times. Id think a faulty connection issue or the relay. Good luck!!!!!

That was the problem, bad battery cables. It started fine before I put the new fully charged battery in. That old battery had been in there for 12 years and still worked like a champ. I just wanted to put a new one in to prevent a possible non start situation when I am out and about. So it was, the cable connectors were all nasty looking, a few strokes with a round file brought out the shine and the connection came back, although the other ends of the cables look pretty nasty, so I will get new battery cables ASAP. Thanks all for the help!

Most of this **** is very simple however we all lose our minds when it appears not to be.
Always good to see a happy ending.

Don’t trust anything is the best way to think anymore.

That's why I prefer old cars, they are easier to diagnose and fix.....imagine something like this happening on a new "any make"!

Most of this **** is very simple however we all lose our minds when it appears not to be.
How true.
Sometimes when I have a problem, I get pissed and cannot think clearly. Stuff that should be easily fixed takes awhile because I am angry with it and my thought process gets out of whack.

And just think,with the Slant you don't even have to get on your back to change the cables.

I had a battery cable end quit on me at a gas station after filling up. The worst part was I didn't have a tool in the car to bail me out. Fortunately it was a station with a mechanic on duty. With my tail between my legs I begged to borrow a 1/2 wrench from the mechanic who says I don't lend out my tools. With a$5.00 bill in hand he quickly changed his mind and lent it to me. When I got home I loaded up the trunk with every tool needed to even change the engine just in case. Glad you're fix was a cheap fix and an educationally one.

Auto Transport Service
Back