• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Protecting aluminum trim

Dan

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Sharkhide metal protectant on their aluminum grills and body molding? I just spent over 2K on trim restoration and want to keep it looking new. Some say to spray with Diamond clear coat from Eastwood but Sharkhide is a thin wipe on product.

I am in the same boat and anxious to see some replies. I tried a 2K clear, but because the aluminum is so smooth, I am not sure that it won't peel. Zoopseal is an option too, I guess.

On other vehicles I've owned I've always just used a few coats of wax....even specific "wheel wax" products can be used as they tend to be more durable. I've attempted the clear coat route and it ended up coming off/peeling/cracking all over the place.

If you just spent 2k on restoring trim, it had better be bright dipped. That is how the factory did it way back then, how do you think it lasted all these years? Stainless was just highly polished. I would be interested in Zoopseal to see just how it works.

trim restoration

The cost for restoration of my grill, headlight door, rear finish panel and top of fender molding for my 66 Satellite was $2150 plus freight both ways, this is for a show quality job. But bright anodizing was quoted at another $1000 plus.Thats why I went for repair and polish. Shark hide looks like the way to go, I hope. This work isn't cheep by any means.

trim protection with Sharkhide

Anyone, sharkhide.com , check it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back