• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchased someone else's 318 poly project, How'd I do?

furyroy

Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score
I was going to re-do my 318 poly (over time). Been gathering info and checking craig's list. I found a basket case, LOTS of machine work already done, Lots of new parts. Everything thoroughly clean, unassembled block bored out .060, new pistons, new oil pick up, complete head job, new fuel pump, alternator, power steering pump, even rehabbed a/c compressor. many parts NOS, wrapped in newpaper from 1993. Paid $500.

IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG

Here is the question. It is so almost there, I'm considering completing myself. I'm pretty competent with mechanics, just not experienced with the internal of engine. I rebuilt a couple motors (30 years ago!). What tools may i need beside the obvious hand tools, torque wrench etc. I imagine I need to have the heads re-decked? Should I have the specs on the block checked? & it didn't come with a cam, suggestions?

Contact Gary Pavlovich. He is the Poly guru and is more than willing to talk about them.

He will also have a few poly cams hanging around. Check with Racer Brown or Crane for Poly cams.

I would also have the machine work checked on all the parts. It will be inexpensive to check.

Do a visual check and see if the crank fears are the same. I do not know if there are differences between the '62 & the '66.

Call Gary, he built my poly. Great guy and full of information. Did it come with a 4 bbl intake? Besidmentioned above, buy some plastigage kits to check clearance on the journals. I doubt the pistons are zero deck but would be worth checking. Schneider Cams makes cams for these motors and that is who Gary gets his from.

Auto Transport Service
Back