• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about roots Blowers positive displacement

I may have gotten some details wrong and it may not have worked very well, I don't know, but the guy did it. People that were racing on the street in the Twin Cities area and at Rock Falls Raceway in Wisconsin in the mid-'80s will remember the guy and the car. He was pretty memorable, he was tall and very heavyset, he had long straggly hair and a big scraggly beard. The inside of his car with filled to the ceiling in back, literally, with trash and fast food wrappers. It was a dark blue beater '72, '73, or '74 Challenger with a junkyard 440 swapped in with the blower contraption on top. He also ran his tailpipes through the trunk and out holes he made in the rear valance. You can't make stuff like this up, he and the car existed. It was probably a low 13 second, high 12 second car. I time trailed against him once and beat him with my Challenger that ran high 12s.

A magnetic clutch on a roots type blower most certainly WILL work Mercedes Benz has already done it.

Attachments

• BLOWER.jpg
    BLOWER.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 131
I may have gotten some details wrong and it may not have worked very well, I don't know, but the guy did it. People that were racing on the street in the Twin Cities area and at Rock Falls Raceway in Wisconsin in the mid-'80s will remember the guy and the car. He was pretty memorable, he was tall and very heavyset, he had long straggly hair and a big scraggly beard. The inside of his car with filled to the ceiling in back, literally, with trash and fast food wrappers. It was a dark blue beater '72, '73, or '74 Challenger with a junkyard 440 swapped in with the blower contraption on top. He also ran his tailpipes through the trunk and out holes he made in the rear valance. You can't make stuff like this up, he and the car existed. It was probably a low 13 second, high 12 second car. I time trailed against him once and beat him with my Challenger that ran high 12s.

I totally remember that car and that guy! First time I saw him and that car (before it ran) I laughed at was a pieced the car looked like. He never opened the hood on that thing... but yeah - it ran like hell.

I was hoping someone here would remember him and the car! See guys, I'm not making this stuff up!

Sorry to hijack but here's another strange-but-true car that was street racing in the Twin Cities area back in the mid-'80s. There was a guy with a '69 or '70 notchback Mustang with a 460 that rigged up a three speed manual trans behind his C6. He wouldn't shift the manual trans while driving, he used it to set what final ratio he wanted and then the C6 would do the shifting. Anyone remember this car? There was a lot more weird stuff roaming around on the streets back then.

There was this guy back in the '80s in the Minneapolis area who used to swap a 6/71 blower on top of whatever beater he was driving at the time. One week at the strip (Rock Falls) he would show up with it on a rusty '69 AMX he had, the next time he'd show up and it would be on a rusty '69 Dart with a 440. The Dart also had quarter windows made out of cardboard and yes it would pass tech and they'd let him run.

There was also another guy that had a beater '73 Challenger. He was a bus mechanic for the MTC (city bus). He took a blower from a bus and put it on his Challenger. He even figured out a way to use the clutch from an A/C compressor to make it turn off and on with a switch ala Mad Max.

All this stuff sounds like tall tales and made up BS even to me as I type this but this is the kind of stuff people did back then. There's other people who were there that can back up my stories.

The guy with the Challenger is a friend of mine. He is known as "Blower Jim". Indeed he could turn the blower on and off. He had it mounted sideways and there was a separate intake bypass system that allowed it to bypass the blower and breathe. When he engaged the blower, the pressure activated a servo that closed the intake for boost and also activated exhaust cut-outs. He even made external power valves. Pretty cool.

It was quite an experience to ride in. The car did make it into the 10s as well.

I have not seen him for a while, since I moved the shop out of the city. He used to bring blocks and heads in for machining for years.

What can i say, where there's a will, there's a way. I think toyota used those smaller eaton supercharges like the benz used too. Its easier to see how it would work on a fuel injected motor as the computer can adjust fuel trim. Thinking in terms of a carb set up i just didnt see how having 2 carbs set up for a blower would work once the blower turned off.

The guy with the Challenger is a friend of mine. He is known as "Blower Jim". Indeed he could turn the blower on and off. He had it mounted sideways and there was a separate intake bypass system that allowed it to bypass the blower and breathe. When he engaged the blower, the pressure activated a servo that closed the intake for boost and also activated exhaust cut-outs. He even made external power valves. Pretty cool.

It was quite an experience to ride in. The car did make it into the 10s as well.

I have not seen him for a while, since I moved the shop out of the city. He used to bring blocks and heads in for machining for years.

Wow, that's cool he made it into the 10s with it. Do you know if he still owns the Challenger or the last time it was around?

I've had a blown street car since 1985. It's no world beater but a quick street ride. This is what I've learned. Stock Carter Comp 750 AFB jetting is dead on. You don't need a lot of timing (30 total), or you'll need a lot of pistons. 8-1 at 12 PSI lives on pump gas, I do use race gas at the track. A iron headed 340 with a [email protected]' cam will run 11.0 in a 3875 lb car with mufflers. This is with a 6V-71 blower mounted on a single 4 barrel intake. A clutch on the drive will only work if the air by passes the rotors. I've driven mine W/O the belt. The rotors will spin, but what a dog.
Doug

Attachments

• RR at Milan.jpg
    RR at Milan.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7816.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 73
Auto Transport Service
Back