• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator fan shroud.. I'm embarrassed LOL

I can't wait for my schedule to go back to normal so I can quit bugging all you guys lol
1694719541413.png
I don't mind, if it helps !

Just pull the radiator out, slip the shroud over the fan and lean it against the motor, slip the radiator back in, slide the shroud forward and bolt it up to the radiator, hook up the hoses, pour the coolant back in and you are done.
Probably a couple of hours work at the most. No stress, no damage. Then you can move on.

Been awhile since I did this but here’s what I remember,
- Radiator out of car
- Put fan on
- Lay shroud over fan up against engine
- Put radiator in
- Attach shroud to radiator now
Thanks for posting! Timing was perfect. One of those tasks that must be carried out in the correct sequence.

WTB - Offset 26" fan shroud to fit a 69 Roadrunner. (18" fan) I'm changing out the 22" radiator to a 26" radiator by replacing the right side radiator support. (Conversion Kit). That's why I need it Offset - the left side and fan hole would remain the same but the right side would have about 4" added to the width.

A clutch equipped fan would be easier to remove than the fan/spacer combo you currently have.

Sooo.... How it went (as suggested):

Loosen bolts on fan, pull bolts out enough to get fan off.
Drop shroud in. It didn't come with the mounts needed to attach it to the radiator so had to improvise a test fit.
Raise shroud over water pump/fan area.
Attach fan (fun)
Bring shroud back towards radiator and attach.

I'd love to say this fixed my problem, but our weather (on the days I can drive the thing) has dropped 10 degrees, or more. so.... We're rumored to have more heat coming, hopefully above 90*. If so, I'll do my best to give it a test run and let ya'll know how things went.
*bonus: I did a leakdown test and the headgasket seems to be fine.

Where did you get the shroud form. Is it original. Just had a bad experience with one that was not original. Now have an original and going to be better than the other one. It is much more like it should be and not a flimsy piece of junk. Costly and had to get another radiator to replace the one that I just got. Not a happy camper. :BangHead:

Where did you get the shroud form. Is it original. Just had a bad experience with one that was not original. Now have an original and going to be better than the other one. It is much more like it should be and not a flimsy piece of junk. Costly and had to get another radiator to replace the one that I just got. Not a happy camper. :BangHead:

My car came with an SUV full of spare parts and the shroud was one. It's not flimsy, but not OEM either. I'm happy with it as long as it does it's job. I guess I should have taken a picture before i put it in, but I honestly thought I'd be doing R/R a few times before keeping it in place. It was great first try haha.

I can't stress this enough:
Get yourself a factory service manual for the car if you plan on working on it yourself.
It will save you grief, embarassment and yes, money too. :thumbsup:

I can't stress this enough:
Get yourself a factory service manual for the car if you plan on working on it yourself.
It will save you grief, embarassment and yes, money too. :thumbsup:

True story. I have a stock of FSMs for every car I've ever owned LOL. Worth their weight in gold.

So... I'm trying how to Tetris this thing on.. I have a 440 in a '69 Charger. Do I need to move the radiator support to get the shroud on? If I lift the radiator, I can't slide it down because the shroud hits the fan. I can't pull the fan because then I can't install the fan because it will be inside the shroud.
I'm feeling really dumb right now LOL.
I'm told the radiator is custom, though it looks OEM. One-piece shroud. Pic attached for reference.
Please help me stop being dumb. Thanks, in advance.

View attachment 1523354

WTB - Offset 26" fan shroud to fit a 69 Roadrunner. (18" fan) I'm changing out the 22" radiator to a 26" radiator by replacing the right side radiator support. (Conversion Kit). That's why I need it Offset - the left side and fan hole would remain the same but the right side would have about 4" added to the width.
Bing, where did you source this conversion package you mention? The 67 wagon w/440 I recently purchased has a 22" radiator, wide core, but a hokey'd up shroud and fan. It gets very hot in the old stop and go. I'm going to look for the 2 piece shroud plus a fan that hasn't been modded in a couple of weeks when I go the Spring Fling in Van Nuys. In case the proper shroud isn't enough, I may have to do the 26" swap.

Auto Transport Service
Back