• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raybestos 36406 5/16" bore question

Randra

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
I have been working on a pirate jack manual disc brake conversion kit. Had a problem with the master where it wouldn't return all the way fast enough and would not bleed the rear brakes. I emailed them twice without a response. Called only to get hung up on. So... I replaced the master with a Raybestos 36406 with a 15/16 bore as recommend by a few forums I read. Bench bled the master and installed it. Got the brakes bled no problem. But now the pedal will go all of the way to the floor. I can hear them activating so they are working... is this normal with this master? Just seems wrong to me.

I put the same one mine with no problem. Did you install the adjustable proportioning valve?

I put the same one mine with no problem. Did you install the adjustable proportioning valve?
I found more air in the system. So we are rebleeding. Also yes I did. But how should a guy start with the adjustments on the valve.

I have been working on a pirate jack manual disc brake conversion kit. Had a problem with the master where it wouldn't return all the way fast enough and would not bleed the rear brakes. I emailed them twice without a response. Called only to get hung up on. So... I replaced the master with a Raybestos 36406 with a 15/16 bore as recommend by a few forums I read. Bench bled the master and installed it. Got the brakes bled no problem. But now the pedal will go all of the way to the floor. I can hear them activating so they are working... is this normal with this master? Just seems wrong to me.
I had one of the newer aluminum master cylinders on my car. Hated the long travel of the pedal. So much I wouldn't let my daughter drive the car.

Switched to one for a 1974 Dart and much much better.

20230327_121536.jpg

Last edited:
I had of the newer aluminum master cylinders on my car. Hated the long travel of the pedal. So much I wouldn't let my daughter drive the car.

Switched to one for a 1974 Dart and muchmuch better.
The master I used if for a dart also. I've been thinking of using the 1 1/32" also for a dart with manual front disc and rear drum brakes. The long travel of the 15/16" Is scary.

I used this 1 1/32 master on my disc brake conversion. So far I am happy with the pedal feel and effort.

New master.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back