• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear sway bar?

Loulang

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has installed a rear sway bar on a 66/67 Charger and if so what kit was used. My car sways ALOT granite I haven’t insta The front one yet due to previous owner cutting off brackets on front controls arms when making it a drag car. I do have everything for front just need to do some welding. Thanks in advance

I would wait until you get the front sway bar installed.
I'd also suggest new bushings in the rear springs and shackles.
Then see how it handles.

I would wait until you get the front sway bar installed.
I'd also suggest new bushings in the rear springs and shackles.
Then see how it handles.
I have some polyurethane ones I need to install when I do the front sway bar. Just seeing if there is a kit if I need one in the future. Thanks

My friend installed poly bushings in his 1967 Coronet rear springs. He hated the harsh ride and banging so much that he changed it back with new Moog bushings. I have a Firm Feel rear sway bar in my 1967 R/T. It almost looks factory and mounts with no clearance problems.
Be aware that some early 1966 Chargers took the 1964-1965 style sway bar that mounted on the front corners of the K-frame and clamped to the front strut rods. These cars would not have had the brackets on the lower control arms, and would have had holes in the front corners of the K-frame.

My friend installed poly bushings in his 1967 Coronet rear springs. He hated the harsh ride and banging so much that he changed it back with new Moog bushings. I have a Firm Feel rear sway bar in my 1967 R/T. It almost looks factory and mounts with no clearance problems.
Be aware that some early 1966 Chargers took the 1964-1965 style sway bar that mounted on the front corners of the K-frame and clamped to the front strut rods. These cars would not have had the brackets on the lower control arms, and would have had holes in the front corners of the K-frame.
Thanks for that info. I pulled the sway bar off my parts 66 that’s we’re I seen the brackets plus I can see we’re they cut them off my cars lower control arm

5CADBE1F-678C-48CA-B0C4-E877AB3D666F.jpeg

image.jpg

It's possible to cut the brackets off one lower arm and weld them on the other. But doing it on the car might be tricky.

Found out I’m gonna have to figure something else out for my front sway bars. My car had calipers that are in the front of the spindle so my caliper hits it if I was to install it. Did all that work cutting off the ones off parts car and cleaning them and painting them to find out won’t work in original spot.

Found out I’m gonna have to figure something else out for my front sway bars. My car had calipers that are in the front of the spindle so my caliper hits it if I was to install it. Did all that work cutting off the ones off parts car and cleaning them and painting them to find out won’t work in original spot.
Spindles are interchangeable side to side, with no effect on geometry. Just hang your calipers out back. You will have to change your brake line bracket on the frame, from behind the top A-arm to ahead of it. I had to do this on my car, after I installed a front sway bar.

PA280018.JPG

I was wondering about that but figured we’re the outer tie rod hooked up would be in wrong spot if I switched them

I was wondering about that but figured we’re the outer tie rod hooked up would be in wrong spot if I switched them
If you changed the spindles from side to side wouldn't that only move the caliper and not the lower ball joint/tie rod location as the tie rod mount is part of the lower ball joint?

I drove my granddaughter to a birthday party in my 66 Charger because she wanted to show all her friends her papaws car. So I will jack it up and investigate if it’s possible. My only worry was the tie rod were it connects to spindle.

I did some digging on the internet and it’s possible

0F461AF2-64CC-4D50-B966-BB3F0E3C3273.png

1EF0D62F-040C-4F8E-AEF5-6C676DE4D3A9.png

Spindles are interchangeable side to side, with no effect on geometry. Just hang your calipers out back. You will have to change your brake line bracket on the frame, from behind the top A-arm to ahead of it. I had to do this on my car, after I installed a front sway bar.

View attachment 1657750
Thanks @Dave6T4 for the info. My car needs a sway bar installed badly lol When I thought I couldn’t install the sway bar I was very discouraged and thinking of a way to install one because she’s like a canoe in a nasty storm in the ocean without one lol

Thanks @Dave6T4 for the info. My car needs a sway bar installed badly lol When I thought I couldn’t install the sway bar I was very discouraged and thinking of a way to install one because she’s like a canoe in a nasty storm in the ocean without one lol
I have a 66 Belvedere I 2dr sedan. It came with a /6 auto and factory AC and it wallowed pretty good with the skinny 14" wheels and bias ply tires. Didn't take long to swap those out with 15x7 cop car wheels and fairly tall 225-75 radials but I also lowered the front end and then added a bunch of camber and all the caster available and then set the toe in a touch more vs stock to account for the added camber.

The result surprised me a lot and I never did add a front sway bar. I also lighted up the car to the tune of 400+ lbs and the car wasn't all that heavy to start with.....starting point was 3370 and got her down to 2950. The reason for that size tire was because I had them lol

I have a 66 Belvedere I 2dr sedan. It came with a /6 auto and factory AC and it wallowed pretty good with the skinny 14" wheels and bias ply tires. Didn't take long to swap those out with 15x7 cop car wheels and fairly tall 225-75 radials but I also lowered the front end and then added a bunch of camber and all the caster available and then set the toe in a touch more vs stock to account for the added camber.

The result surprised me a lot and I never did add a front sway bar. I also lighted up the car to the tune of 400+ lbs and the car wasn't all that heavy to start with.....starting point was 3370 and got her down to 2950. The reason for that size tire was because I had them lol
275/40/18 rears and 245/40/18 in the front. Will go 295 in rear next time

image.jpg

Got 295s on the back of mine. Isn't your parts car a 67?

Auto Transport Service
Back