• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear window trim clip holes

NZ 70 RR

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
New sail panel needs holes drilled so i can attach rear window trim clips. Old sail panel was thrown out before I got reference pics. Help please, measurements, diagrams, or photos ? Because I repaired the rear corners as well , i think I am missing a hole on the sides as well. Only have 2 holes on each side , one at the top and one in the midlde ?
Bound to be a thread with this question and answer, but I am unable to find it.

Thanks , Tony

Attachments

• DSC01039.JPG
    DSC01039.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
could you look at the revel moldings to see where the clips grabbed a hold?
I would check location with the moldings regardless to make sure there is something for the clip to grab.
what is the car?

Hi Rodney, great reply. I had not thought of looking at the moldings, there will be signs of where the clips sat in the molding. I have worked out where the side ones go and based on how many clips there are in a replacement pack, it looks like there are 7 clips along the sail panel and they must be a uniform distance apart.
Car is a 70 RR. I will check my moldings and let you know.
Thanks, Tony

Good result, back of moldings have imprints of where old clips were. Have got an old clip so will use it to find place to drill holes. Must order new clips for front and rear from 521 Restoration.
thanks again Rodney.

Tony

good deal
I would use a little dab of some kind of sealer after drilling the holes between the clip and body to try an prevent any leaks or rust. some times the molding clips and screw will have it on the screw... some times not?
in the future when dealing with holes that a screw goes in I find it best to use a sharp body punch to make the hole this way you are leaving material for the screw to bite in to. much better that drilling. I wouldn't suggest doing this to an already painted surface unless you are sure there is no filler or it will crack an make more issues. when drilling either use stainless self tapping screws or error on the smaller size drill bit.
keep us posted.

Good result, back of moldings have imprints of where old clips were. Have got an old clip so will use it to find place to drill holes. Must order new clips for front and rear from 521 Restoration.
thanks again Rodney.

Tony

I wouldn't drill any holes until you have the clips that will be used in the final assembly
and compare real close to the originals.
There can be small differences that may be an issue.
Take nothing for granted IMO

Here's a sketch I got from someone on this site

Hey Eagle, it was me!
This was taken from a 69 Coronet 2dr hardtop parts car as the same thing happened to my Bee. Don't see why they'd be any different on a Plymouth as far as location though as others have said I did wait until I had the clips in hand to make it final on the depth. Did the Rodney method and used a small punch to leave a starting point for the screws. All of them had the adhesive when purchased.

Had the same issue after having a new roof skin installed. Am using the moldings for the back glass as a reference. Just glad I haven't cleaned them up yet. For the front, I was able to get measurements from a 69 SuperBee that my body guy has in his shop currently.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will be using the advice being given. Was worried that the holes had to be drilled before the vinyl top went on. Just checked how the vinyl was put on my challenger and saw that the installer cut reliefs in the vinyl around the holes. Hope the new clip holes are the same depth as the existing holes in the car. Will drill the new holes in the sail panel once I have the new clips.

Hey guys I am having the same issue on my 70 Satellite. New roof skin quarters and lost most of my holes. So was a diagram posted of the hole locations? I didn’t see it.

Curious what size drill you guys used? I measured 1/8”.

Do the rear clips sit down in the edge? I know it’s important to make sure they are all the same but also they need to be the right depth.

Any help on this would be appreciated..

MF

Auto Transport Service
Back