• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recondition old paint

Dgc

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I had read a bit about restoring old paint with maguires #7
and have been impressed with the results on my 66 coronet
a survivor car . No compound clean the car then clay it very well then rub and rub # 7 on wet and off wet then leave on over nite several times all this is to let the oil in #7 to soak back in the paint and condition it
im very pleased so much so won't be thinking about repainting it I like having one that's original
will post pics soon

Lmao no a carpenter but just sharing info
never heard of oils in any product conditioning paint or letting it on over nite
im sure their are other products that do the same
I'm redoing a 67 rt and picked up a 66 500 with 40 k on it and wanted to keep it original other than oxidation and a few sm rust spots it's a survivor

- - - Updated - - -

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 164
I love Meguires products. The only thing you have to remember, is the oil based polishes will eventually dry out. If you could try buffing with swirl remover or maybe a coarser polish and then wax, it will last longer. If it's a metallic paint, polishing is limited to the depth of the clear that's on the surface. I like the foam pads they offer. Red for cutting, yellow for finishing.

Nice looking car. A little elbow grease and you've refreshed the paint. Nothing wrong with that. Unless it's a $$ issue I don't get those that don't want to paint their cars just to keep it completely original - unless it near perfect. But pls understand I'm a restomod guy. I like it how I like and don't give a .... What others want. You shouldn't either. If that's the way you want to keep it. Enjoy!

BTW I've had my 68 for 42 years. Could have gone either way.

Thanks yes going to go over with a good wax after get it done.
Im more of a keep it original man at my age. I'm 51 and have have many different cars some built and some stock. It won't be a 100% car but that's not why I bought it just something about it I like

Auto Transport Service
Back