• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

relocating spring perches

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
Have some questions about welding in place the new perches for the leaf spring relocation kit. I checked the sticky but it was never updated with this info.
Thanks!
1. Is it mandatory to remove axles and drain the diff.
2. Does it require a MIG or will a 90 amp wire welder work?
3. The original pinion angle was with 14" tires and they are now 15" and 26" tall. Do I need to place the new ones at a different angle?

1. Axles most come out.
2. Drain fluid.
3. You need a really good Mig 250 amp or stick welder heavy fast fill rod. It is preferred if two people weld at same time. Need deep fast heat to reduce warpage.
4. You can mount Using 1,2 or 3 down and use shims. Or mount at zero and add shims for 3 down.

Make sure to wrap your welds around the ends, that's where the cracks start.
Make sure are to be welded is free of paint, dirt, & oil.
Do not quench after welding.

I didn't remove anything after I bent one:lol:.Install new perches without welding . Put wheels on solid surface and measure pinion angle to insure PA.I like 4 or 5* down with leaf springs.Put it back in the air and weld. If using stock perches like I did,brace the back of the axle to the per perch.:thumbsup:

8.1.14 003.jpg 8.1.14 004.jpg 8.1.14 005.jpg 8.1.14 006.jpg 8.1.14 007.jpg 8.1.14 008.jpg 8.1.14 009.jpg 8.1.14 011.jpg 8.1.14 012.jpg 8.1.14 013.jpg

I will most likely drive it on the street with care. I doubt I'll be too hard on it.

That would be correct.I don't see the need to remove anything but the u-bolts and and shocks then cut the perches off.

8.1.14 005.jpg 8.1.14 006.jpg 8.1.14 007.jpg 8.1.14 008.jpg 8.1.14 009.jpg 8.1.14 010.jpg 8.1.14 012.jpg 8.1.14 013.jpg 8.1.14 015.jpg

Last edited:
Reassembled before welding the new perches,set it on the ground to set pinion angle 5* down.Put it back up in the air,tack the perches,remove the diff housing again and weld everything up,,,,,,viola:)

I'm sorry....i'm clearly obtuse. You put it on the ground to set the PA and then clamped it in place to the leafs. You then raised the whole shebang up on the lift and tacked the perches in place. Then you ...removed the differential? You removed the u bolts and the shock plates and left the axle housing sitting on the leafs? Do you mean you took the guts out of the center of the rear end? I be cornfused...thanks for your patience...lol.

Moved the whole housing outta the way to cut the perched off and cleaned the leftover slag off the axel tube.Put it back together with the u-bolts just snug after centering on the ne,set it down to set pinion angle 6* down and tacked the perches.Back in the air again,and again move the housing outta the way and weld the perches and back brace in.

8.1.14 007.jpg

A couple wet rags on either side to slow down heat transfer?

Auto Transport Service
Back