• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing an A-833 trans

67 GTX

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I am removing the 4 speed in a 67 GTX. Got everything disconnected, but just wanted clarification on where to support the engine while the trans is out.

I currently have a block of wood under the oil pan, on the sump (deeper part of it), right by where the drain plug is. Is this the best place to support the engine while the trans it out?
I figured the shorter part of the oil pan (closer to the bellhousing) wouldn't be the strongest place to be supported?

Any other place it should be supported from?

Thank you!

You will be fine under the pan. There is not that much weight there.

I have a trans out right now.. I placed a 1" thick wood block on the steering drag link & lowered the trans down till the oil pan contacted the wood block... It'll stay that way till it goes back together...

Yes, a piece of wood on top of the steering center link 1" inch thick by 1 foot long approx.

You should also remove the shifter mounting plate/pad.

Yes, a piece of wood on top of the steering center link 1" inch thick by 1 foot long approx.

You should also remove the shifter mounting plate/pad.
Yep, removed all that just to make sure I had the most clearance.

Thanks all!

Thanks for all your help! Went well!

Does anyone have any pics of a manual trans crossmember? I’ve put it back both ways, and one way the rubber support bushing didn’t line up right, and the other way the cross member doesn’t line up right.
Of course I forgot to take a pic before taking it out.
Even the spacer on the rubber bushing seems to have an orientation.

Basically, just need to know which was the trans cross member goes (where the overhang part goes, front of back) and I can’t get it from there.

676E3876-7DA2-4704-8263-F85039C3DFF2.jpeg
9169EAD4-8FA5-4FE9-A859-8E9F2D0B1D12.jpeg

Here are some pictures of a b body manual transmission crossmember. The smaller hole where the transmission mount stud goes, goes towards the back of the car.

You can support the rear of the engine on the lower rail of the block with a bottle jack adjacent to the oil pan. Without touching the oil pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back