• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing the Fuel Tank For GTX

BumperMan

Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Gentleman, the next step for me in my restoration project is removing the fuel tank and cleaning it out. I've never done this so any pointers would be great. Can someone tell me where to start?

make sure that sum' buck is either empty, or as close as possible

yep, and empty tank will be your friend. wouldn't hurt to get a new grommet for the filler neck and a gasket for the sending unit while your at it.

Make sure to wear protective glasses of some sort. The rust and other debris in the eyes makes the job miserable. Also, mark your sending unit so that you do not re-install it upside down.

Put a small piece of plywood on top of your Jack. This will disperse the weight. Jack the tank up just enough to have slight pressure on the Jack. Start loosening the strap bolt and remove the strap. Assuming you already took the hose clamps off the hoses and loosened the hoses from the necks. Removed the fuel line if possible. After that let the Jack down slowly, just enough to get the sending unit wire off. If you didn't get the fuel line off yet, do that now. Then you get to wiggle the hoses off the necks while letting the Jack down. This is how I did mine. Others may have easier ways? It probably took me 1/2 hour to do it like that.

Thanks guys I hope to get this completed this weekend, I will post some pics. Thanks a lot for the education

That sucker will flash from the fumes only even if empty. Don't get a flame or spark source anywhere near a removed fuel tank even if empty. Cranium has the skin grafts to prove it. An empty tank is much more volatile than you would think.

IMG_2920.jpgGot the gas tank out and cleaning it out, the gas looked like pink lemonade, soaking it in Acetone for 24 hrs. How long and how would you guys recommend letting the tank air dry. I am sure you want to get all the water out when finished. Also, would you guys recommend replacing the mat that covers the tank?

X2 from Krowbar.

Spray the tank with some POR or such to help prevent rusting the tank further.
I folded over (triple) some tar paper to isolate the tank from the frame and while your at it, please change the fuel sock on the pickup while you have the tank out. You'll be happy you did it now.

Matt

Got the gas tank out and cleaning it out, the gas looked like pink lemonade, soaking it in Acetone for 24 hrs. How long and how would you guys recommend letting the tank air dry. I am sure you want to get all the water out when finished. Also, would you guys recommend replacing the mat that covers the tank?

Matt, what's POR?

- - - Updated - - -

Last question Matt, what's the fuel sock?

Matt, what's POR?

- - - Updated - - -

Last question Matt, what's the fuel sock?

POR is a sealant that goes inside the tank to keep rust at bay.if you cant find it at any local auto parts,try some local radiator shops.they will some times have the radiator boil out service with a reseal deal.
fuel sock is the strainer that goes on the end of the fuel pickup to prevent getting garbage from your tank into the fuel line.i dont think the early modle cars came with on though.my 67 coronet didnt have one.

I did the one in my 69 RR, and the fuel line/sending unit coming out of the tank was completely plugged. Prob to gas evap in the tank for 12 years. They are available as a unit. And put on a new filter sock 4 sure. The RR used a 5/16 line, I put in a GTX one which is 3/8 diam I believe. Also be sure to put on the ground strap that hooks to the metal fuel lines and goes past the short rubber fuel line coming out of the tank. Otherwise the gas gauge wont work.

OK. I still have a question; I have removed these before but can't remember the bracket underneath the filler spout/licensed plate attacment does this slide out of the clamp once unbolted?

Auto Transport Service
Back