• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disaster - Major Fuel Tank Issue

Chargerjase

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Today was a bit of a disastrous day for me. Yesterday, I pulled the fuel sending unit and discovered that is was a junk Chinese one that had replace the factory original. I tested it and realized it was a hopeless cause as the readings were vastly different than what they should be. I looked at the sender seal that was in the tank and figured I would install my new DMT one as that is best practice.

I have a proper tool, so no issues to reinstall. I did make a mistake though and did not lube up the lock ring. Fatal error.
It is hard to see there due to the rear end, but I felt it slide right back to the lock position. I figured for now, I will just live with the crappy sending unit unit I can find a good used or NOS factory original.

The cars rear end was up on ramps. I put 5 gallons back into the tank from my spare fuel container. I knew that it would take the fuel level above the sender seal. I left the car 24 hours to make sure there were no leaks. When I came back to it this morning, no sign of any leaks. I decided to go to the gas station and fill her up and make 100% sure that all was well.

I started to fill her up watching for leaks and there were none. Just as I got the 19 gallons into the tank, fuel started to pour out of the sending unit seal. This is the worst possible situation. I am at the gas station and gas is pouring out all over the forecourt.

I was able to quickly siphon enough to get back down to a level where the leak stopped. After the dust had settled, I realized what happened.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-30 at 18.58.45_5507639e.jpg

1711821834789.png

The tank lock ring holder split, the full tank of gas built up enough pressure to push the seal out and the result was what you see above. Its the original tank, so I can say it's had a life.

So, I am asking advice from the members here, what should I do? I have to pull the tank no matter what. Is it a dumb idea to try and weld that? I am thinking that it would be stupid to not get a new tank. If I buy a new tank, what company is the best? I have had great dealings from Jeff from 521 Restorations in the past, but I want a quality tank, not a junk one.

All inputs welcome please.

I would replace the tank. Spectra are good quality. Jeff at 521 will lead you in the right direction.

Spectra Premium from 521 Restorations is where I always get mine.
Gotta say that you must be the quickest draw around with a camera. With gas gushing out like that, I would never of thought about taking a pic, lol.

Lol, my heart was beating out of my chest. I only took the picture because I was trying to see where it was coming from.

JMO but I would buy a Tanks Inc tank which doesn't use the standard sending unit... It uses a completely different design sender that actually works correctly...

The Tanks Inc tanks are intended for EFI but they sell a pick-up assembly for it that allows the tank to work with a carbureted vehicle...

What vehicle are you working on?

Sender I'm talking about... I've used four now & every one has been great...

prd_346.jpg

I'm thinking it's your Coronet
Tank.... TCR9C-T
Sender T- ORG-08 10-73 Ohm 8"
Pickup assy PTA-G
Hardware kit 3G-KIT

Last edited:
JMO but I would buy a Tanks Inc tank which doesn't use the standard sending unit... It uses a completely different design sender that actually works correctly...

The Tanks Inc tanks are intended for EFI but they sell a pick-up assembly for it that allows the tank to work with a carbureted vehicle...

What vehicle are you working on?

Sender I'm talking about... I've used four now & every one has been great...

View attachment 1637856
Thanks for the advice Randy. Car is a 1970 Coronet Convertible 383 4 bbl.

FWIW the tank looks stock, on the way in it'll cost a little more than the Spectra tank but the fuel gauge will work & you won't have to search for a rare part & then pay the NOS parts price....

I have been fighting inaccurate fuel gauges for to long... These have solved that problem....

That sucks,I got my tank from AMD. I do know people that fix tanks but I would buy a new one.

FWIW the tank looks stock, on the way in it'll cost a little more than the Spectra tank but the fuel gauge will work & you won't have to search for a rare part & then pay the NOS parts price....

I have been fighting inaccurate fuel gauges for to long... These have solved that problem....
I will check them out. Thanks.

One thing I didn't mention, my car is an original California car and comes with the 4 vents to the vapor separator on the side of the tank.

Tanks Inc local to my hometown.
I wouldn't trust a weld and keeping that area flat to hold a seal. You'll just keep chasing it.
When I replaced the sender in my charger and then filled it it dripped pretty good. I fought the lock ring for an hour. Luckily I didn't split the tank like that

One thing I didn't mention, my car is an original California car and comes with the 4 vents to the vapor separator on the side of the tank.
You could just get a regular tank and convert it to a single vent tube system. Just a thought. Unless you're going to a Concours show, I wouldn't worry about the non-OE tank venting system. Who is really going to know apart from you?

Take it from someone who spent hours upon hours trying to save a rare gas tank that was not-reproduced: Once you have a problem in one spot, the rest of the tank is probably too weak to save also. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a new one!

Yep, new tank needed. Spectra seems to be a good choice. Calibrate your sender before you install it.
And, new straps and proper bolts to hold it up.

Take it from someone who spent hours upon hours trying to save a rare gas tank that was not-reproduced
I'll second that. My A100 tank had more holes in it than a tea bag.
I ended up getting a custom tank made locally.

Just replace the lock ring with a reproduction part, drop the tank and inspect it first and see if it's just the ring. I bought a whole bunch of new parts including a spectra tank when I had a fuel tank issue thinking the OE tank was destroyed with rust on the inside, turned out to be just the sock on the pickup tube had disintegrated and was plugging the carb filter. I just replaced the filter sock. Luckily I used summit so I was able to return all the extra parts I didn't need.

I found my best price on a Spectra tank from RockAuto, for my 1967 R/T. These tanks are made in Stratford, Ontario, about an hour's drive from my home. Unfortunately, they do not sell to the public, only to jobbers. My local cost would have been $550.00 Can, taxes in. By buying from RockAuto, I had the tank at my place in 3 days, and saved $200.00 Can. in the process. At this point, the tank was back and forth across the border twice.

Auto Transport Service
Back