• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

reproduced 1969 Console fitment issues.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
As the title says I'm trying to get this repop console together but I'm having issues with getting everything to line up. I need to find out which side of the piano hinge goes inside the console and which side mounts to the door. Its almost as if the door section is too short and it keeps hitting one end or the other. Anyone else have these issues with the repop console shells?

Oh yes. If you are trying to use a repop console and repop covers, nothing is going to fit without modification. The piano hinge will need to be Dremel tooled out to get it close not to mention shortening the door. All Chinese junk.

I have pictures posted here http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1439778638/90

Good luck!! Hope this helps.

D

Don't know wht you have in it, but maybe consider selling it for a small fortune here. Mine has a factory misaligned, rattling, junk collector console. It's what they do.

I'm re-using the original tops not restored just as junky as they were when we got the car. I guess I will trim the door down a bit. To get a bigger gap.

The consoles originally fit like SH**......but I am not surprised about your fitment issues with repop ones

The original top studs were so worn out and wouldn't tighten for ****.. I took a 10/24 die and put brand new threads on those studs and used regular nuts on it. It now tightens great. As for the door it just seems to need a run on a belt sander on each end. Maybe take off an 1/8 on each and it should fit decent. What a pain in the ***.

I have the OEM console and door on my '69. I have tried and tried to align the door. When I get the back end aligned, the side gap is off. When I get the side gap aligned, the trailing edge is off. Against my nature, I gave up. I've had guys at car shows ask me about it as well. We all have the same problem if there is a solution, I'm unaware of it.

As for the hinge, I just checked mine and it sure looks reversible.

I tried reversing the hinge it actually works worse that way. The door hits on the passenger side outter part and is off by a lot more. I will take the door down a 1/8th on each side and see if I can get something to help this damn thing work at the very least.

I used my original plates and hardware on a repo console bought from Classic Industries. Major pos in my opinion. Had to do several mods to get it to work. If I ever buy another one it will be from Tonys Parts - supposed to be the best one out there.

I'm not sure but I think the one we got was from Tonys I would have to check all the orders we made. The original parts fit like crap on this one. Modding I will go.

I used my original plates and hardware on a repo console bought from Classic Industries. Major pos in my opinion. Had to do several mods to get it to work. If I ever buy another one it will be from Tonys Parts - supposed to be the best one out there.

Pretty sure they all get them from the same place. Mine was from Tony's. Fought it and the top plates for an entire Saturday until it finally looked somewhat respectable.

I tried reversing the hinge it actually works worse that way. The door hits on the passenger side outter part and is off by a lot more. I will take the door down a 1/8th on each side and see if I can get something to help this damn thing work at the very least.

Remove the material from the back of the door (faces the rear seat). This are is easily painted black while the front edge shows more and should be left chrome finish.

I agree with everyone who commented here. These parts are junk and a PITA to make work.

D

Ok, Got it to open and close took some off the end facing the rear seat. Then it opened and closed fine. But the damn latch hangs on the latch bracket. The sping has been worn out over the years. I wedged a coil I made of thin metal onto the spring end and this now gives it lift. Enough to actually make it pop open once I press the button. I will take some pictures. Remember these are the original top parts with only a new base. And they are not refinished just old and not restored.

My console has been out of the car for a good 20 years now. Can someone tell me if the piano hinge is there to hold the door open and vertical, or just for damping the close action? My spring seems a little weak, and not holding the door open.

Anyone have a good close up of the spring fitted - maybe I'm doing it wrong.
It's going back in one day soon.... :lol:

I did a small modification to that spring on the left side if you are looking at it from the drivers seat. I may need a little more to make it spring better. But for now it works better. I believe the piano hinge is for both purposes. to aid in opening and to aid in closing so it doesn't just drop.

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

I hate to break this news to you, but when you mount it in the car, everything is most likely to change again as you tighten the console body to the floor brackets.

I would do that now before you do any other modifications.

D

I figured as much..
I hate to break this news to you, but when you mount it in the car, everything is most likely to change again as you tighten the console body to the floor brackets.

I would do that now before you do any other modifications.

D
I thought about that too. I'm a ways out before I install it. I have to do the dynamat, carpet and windshield and rear glass. I was just trying to make some headway somewhere.. lol Can't get the glass put in until next week.

Yep those console brackets were pretty hit and miss, also of the same quality and attention the console itself got....
I've seen them actually twist a console as it was getting tightened down

Last edited:
I may take it out there and test fit it tomorrow. Hell I got nothing else to do..

The spacing on the lid is not bad. Now adjust the latch to hold the drivers side down a tad farther and you'll be about as close to perfect as you can get.

The spacing on the lid is not bad. Now adjust the latch to hold the drivers side down a tad farther and you'll be about as close to perfect as you can get.
The latch piece on the inside is adjusted as far down as I can get it without making the slots longer. There isn't any adjustment left in that. So I'll have to come up with another solution.

Auto Transport Service
Back