• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrosound Redondo Thumb Wheel Radio review

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
This is for the b-body model. I had to send the radio back because it was not working correctly. They tested it and said it was OK and it may be the cheap thumb wheels. I got it back with new thumb wheels and it worked. They do have good customer service. The radio was a bear to get installed. They provide no instructions on how to do it. It fits like s&#t. I had to buy two spacers because the radio didn't sit back enough, I put them where the bolts go on an original. I put the bracket on the back of the radio and ran it down to the back bottom lip where the ashtray is, drilled a hole and mounted it, it made the radio sturdy. It doesn't fit right no matter how much you adjust it, it may look good in the pic but you can tell in person its a little off. This does not come with a dash bezel, I had to buy my own.
The quality of the radio is a cheap piece of Chinese crap. The head unit is metal but all the accessories like the thumb wheels are all plastic, even the display. If your not careful they can break very easy. I just wanted to have some tunes and bought a pair of $70 speakers to go with it, it does sound good and will do what I need it to do but it is a pain to program everything (time etc.). It does have an amp built in and an equalizer. Would I buy this for $500 again? No, I thought about returning it but it has to be in resalable condition. After trying to get it to fit it was a little banged up. If you are thinking about it, go to classic industries and buy a non looking factory one that comes with a dash bezel for $250, you would be better off. Again, all I wanted was basic tunes, it does have a lot like usb, Sirius(cost extra), outlets for an amp, different colors and other stuff. One thing I hate is it displays the radio station and its always moving. I wish it would just display the station numbers and stay that way. No way to program that.
Lets see how long it lasts.

Radio.jpeg

I had the exact opposite experience. Must be due to different Retrosound model unit. Went in like a breeze. Fit and finish are excellent and I could be happier with how great it works/sounds. Getting all the features set up took some time but that was not a big deal at all...
Radio 4.JPG

I had the exact opposite experience. Must be due to different Retrosound model unit. Went in like a breeze. Fit and finish are excellent and I could be happier with how great it works/sounds. Getting all the features set up took some time but that was not a big deal at all... View attachment 1497064

The big problem I had was the fit and the cheapness of the plastic parts, I mean it sounds good to me for what I need it for, I also like the equalizer built in.

All of the experience I have observed from friends is you either get a good one or a bad one. My opinion is to get a factory radio converted. Thanks for the review.

I love mine. The modular design makes it infinitely adjustable for fit. So, it did take some time to get everything to fit properly. However, it was worth the effort. I used the factory knobs and bezel. I have two 6x9's in the rear, a dual cone up front in the factory dash location, and an 8" subwoofer under the seat. I think it sounds fantastic. I mounter the 2 USB's under the dash for phone charging. I was able to set it so that the display does not constantly "scroll" too. The instructions to do so are buried in the manual somewhere. One other item, my car has factory AC. The fully assembled unit would not fit under my dash with the AC duct work. I had to mount the head unit under the glove compartment liner and connect it to the display unit with a cable which I had to purchase separately... and I had to fabricate a bracket to mount the head unit... but the efforts paid off.

20200424_184646.jpg

Last edited:
I love mine. The modular design makes it infinitely adjustable for fit. So, it did take some time to get everything to fit properly. However, it was worth the effort. I used the factory knobs and bezel. I have two 6x9's in the rear, a dual cone up front in the factory dash location, and an 8" subwoofer under the seat. I think it sounds fantastic. I mounter the 2 USB's under the dash for phone charging. I was able to set it so that the display does not constantly "scroll" too. The instructions to do so are buried in the manual somewhere. One other item, my car has factory AC. The fully assembled unit would not fit under my dash with the AC duct work. I had to mount the head unit under the glove compartment liner and connect it to the display unit with a cable which I had to purchase separately... and I had to fabricate a bracket to mount the head unit... but the efforts paid off.

View attachment 1497174

I need to find where you can stop the scrolling. The problem is that there was separate instructions for the thumb wheels and I didn't see it there.

My Redondo was very adjustable and I was able to get it to fit damn near perfectly The green color is a very close match for the seal lighting of the 66/7 dash I was able to reuse the factory knobs on mine Only thing I’m not 100% satisfied with is the 4x10 dual VC speaker, so I plan on installing two 4” mods with separate tweeters in and on the dash along with some 6 1/4 separates next to the rear seats and a 10” Sub with a couple JL amps
IMG_3963.jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg

Mine seems to be permanently on seeing as I can’t push the off button hard enough.

Mine seems to be permanently on seeing as I can’t push the off button hard enough.
Mine was like that until they replaced the thumb wheels.

We put one in my buddies demon, he likes it & it sounds ok with a amp and some speakers in the package tray. I was turned off a little by it’s feel during install, I personally used my correct 68 Plymouth radio and had the conversion done on it and was more satisfied. I saved the old parts so if needed to be put back a regular am it could... I had a guy in my old home town do the conversion . I went with am/fm, blue tooth and I think it has satellite avail with a mic if choose to use it for my phone. I had the wrong radio for 68 so I located one and converted so it cost me more then the new radio but was worth it as it looks dead on.

We put one in my buddies demon, he likes it & it sounds ok with a amp and some speakers in the package tray. I was turned off a little by it’s feel during install, I personally used my correct 68 Plymouth radio and had the conversion done on it and was more satisfied. I saved the old parts so if needed to be put back a regular am it could... I had a guy in my old home town do the conversion . I went with am/fm, blue tooth and I think it has satellite avail with a mic if choose to use it for my phone. I had the wrong radio for 68 so I located one and converted so it cost me more then the new radio but was worth it as it looks dead on.
Yeah, I should have went this route. It would have fit a whole lot better.

Pretty happy with mine. Have the radio, front/rear -speakers and active sub. Works great.
With that said, yes it was not easy to install, lots of washers to try until you got the correct depth. And sure, those plastic thumb-wheels felt a bit cheap.

IMG_20230904_141401.jpg

Pretty happy with mine. Have the radio, front/rear -speakers and active sub. Works great.
With that said, yes it was not easy to install, lots of washers to try until you got the correct depth. And sure, those plastic thumb-wheels felt a bit cheap.

View attachment 1520291
Wow, you got yours just right, looks great. I didn't think about using washers. I better not try and get it better because I'd probably end up ripping it out due to frustration!

Auto Transport Service
Back