• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road trips back in the day

Mike Szadaj

Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking about my family's 1965 trip from Detroit to California and back with 8 people in two cars. In reminiscing I wonder how many of you remember these bygone highway attributes.

Two lane highways and the jam up of vehicles waiting for an opening from oncoming traffic to pass slow moving vehicles.
Three lane highways with the middle lane used only for passing by either direction of traffic.
Dual speed limit signs that would show a higher speed during the day and a lower speed when your car headlights shone on them at night.
Burma Shave signs.
Check your odometer accuracy numbered signs a tenth of a mile apart.
Roadside "Rest Areas" that consisted of nothing more than a table, a trash can, and an outhouse. Plus a million yellow jackets around the trash can and a million flies around the outhouse.
On a two lane road the way your car would rock when you passed by an oncoming semi truck.
Having to slow down going through towns.
Huge "Chew Mail Pouch Tabaco" signs painted on barns.
"See Rock City" birdhouses.
Having to pull over on the shoulder to let emergency vehicles pass.
Semi truckers that would flash their lights to let a passing car know it was ok to get back in the lane.
Cement roads that would make your tires click as you passed over the cracks in between sections.
Backups for drawbridges.

Last edited:
I remember most everything you've mentioned. Burma's Shave is th coolest from the 50's.

No seatbelts
Rear facing seats in the Big Block powered station wagons
One level Motels with chain link surrounded swimming pools
76 Truck Stops
Stukey’s at every Exit
Getting truckers to blow their air horns

Good Memories for sure :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I remember coming back from New Mexico one time with my family in the 56 Desoto Station Wagon, I may have been 10. We had been to see my mother's sister there. We were coming through a Texas desert area following a big truck 35-40 mph. We topped a hill with mother driving and my dad said it's clear stomp it. Mother pulled into the on coming lane, but the trunk had gotten the jump and was winding through the gears. The speedometer was on 100 when she was clear to get back in. I looked at her and she had her arm out the window and was waving the car behind us to come on too. The funny thing was is the other car was a Texas State Police car. He put his red light on and I thought we were in trouble, but it turned out he was making the truck slow down so he could get by. Mother slowed to the speed limit and the Police just followed us and they turned off close to the next town.
Sorry a little off subject, but this thread brings back some memories. Bet you didn't think this old relic was capable of 100 plus.
20180907_180744.jpg

when I was ten, we went around Australia in a VE VALIANT . from Newcastle to Darwin the long way( via Melbourne, Adelaide, and Perth ), around down and back up 8297 km or 5155milles and back in 8 months
chrysler-valiant-wagon-1.jpg

I was thinking about my family's 1965 trip from Detroit to California and back with 8 people in two cars. In reminiscing I wonder how many of you remember these bygone highway attributes.

Two lane highways and the jam up of vehicles waiting for an opening from oncoming traffic to pass slow moving vehicles.
Three lane highways with the middle lane used only for passing by either direction of traffic.
Dual speed limit signs that would show a higher speed during the day and a lower speed when your car headlights shone on them at night.
Burma Shave signs.
Check your odometer accuracy numbered signs a tenth of a mile apart.
Roadside "Rest Areas" that consisted of nothing more than a table, a trash can, and an outhouse. Plus a million yellow jackets around the trash can and a million flies around the outhouse.
On a two lane road the way your car would rock when you passed by an oncoming semi truck.
Having to slow down going through towns.
Huge "Chew Mail Pouch Tabaco" signs painted on barns.
"See Rock City" birdhouses.
Having to pull over on the shoulder to let emergency vehicles pass.
Semi truckers that would flash their lights to let a passing car know it was ok to get back in the lane.
Cement roads that would make your tires click as you passed over the cracks in between sections.
Backups for drawbridges.
We still have most of those things!!

I was going to tell a story....but to be honest even if you drove from top bottom to top of our great nation (Lands End to John OGroats) its only about 850 miles....Im sure some of you guys drive further going to the shops!! Not what you guys would consider a road trip I think!

Semi truck drivers who STAYED in the right lane and the posted speed limit for trucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back