• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner gtx clones/tributes ?????

My view is, as long as you don't try to pass it off as a legit RR or GTX, you're good.

Sorry...people can rationalize and justify all they want. The only reason to add badging is to pass it off as something it's not. You already know it's not. You want others to think it is.

Swapping and upgrading the drive train was always cool. Adding badging was never cool.

I personally don't care what a person changes on any car, of any brand......except the V.I.N.
Imitating a model is just that, imitating. Some cars are too valuable to drive and be seen in public.
"Clones" are a great way of sharing something that many people would likely never see any other way.
When it comes to selling and buying, if you are going to be laying out the kind of money it takes to get into a high dollar model, YOU better do your homework and know where and what to look for.
$0.02

Sorry...people can rationalize and justify all they want. The only reason to add badging is to pass it off as something it's not. You already know it's not. You want others to think it is.

Swapping and upgrading the drive train was always cool. Adding badging was never cool.
But really, isn't that exactly what the factory did? If I don't present it as such, is it really any worse for me to make my Basic Satellite into a roadrunner or a GTX? I'm using the exact same body/chassis that the factory used. I'm putting in the same motor that the factory used. I'm using the exact same badges that the factory used. Everything I do is as the factory did. Does that work on my part make it less of a Roadrunner? Or a GTX? I would say no. It is as much a RR or GTX as anything the factory built. However, I should not present it as a factory RR or GTX.

so...in your opinion, Factory Five and the and the other 1/2 dozen companies that remake AC Cobra's should have never gone into business, nor should the companies that make Eleanore, nor the Cal Speed companies that remake the Porsche Spyder that James Dean was killed in, or the countless fiberglass bodied 32 fords, Willys, etc ? Cause those companies are quite profitable, which means there's a market for it- You're entitled to your opinion, that's what makes this country great..i'm just taking your opinion one step further.
I did not build mine that way...I bought her that way, and I like how she's put together.

I have zero problems with clones, other than the use of the word "Tribute" to make them sound more acceptable than clone. :)

Let's be honest, Plymouth never made an actual Road Runner either. They took Belvederes, Satellites, Furies, and Volares and made them into Road Runners to meet an owner's request, which is exactly what you're doing. Only difference is instead of marking off some check boxes on an order form and having the factory modify the Satellite you're doing it yourself.

So when you get right down to the basics of it, turning your Satellite into a Road Runner is about the same as opting to change your oil yourself rather than have the dealership do it. Any issues above that are added on by people with unique and specific agendas, and they'll never be happy with what you do if what you do doesn't comply with their agendas, so don't worry about it. In the end, you'll still have dozens of people coming up to you in parking lots asking if your car is a Charger. :)

Clone it, make it fast, then take it to the dragstrip and thrash the daylights out of it to freak people out and/or give them a show. Because no one ever brings '68-'70 Roadrunners, Chargers, R/Ts, GTXs, or '70-'71 'Cudas, or Challenger R/Ts to the dragstrip anymore like they did 20-40 years ago due to the high "value" of them.

Imitations

Well here's my imitation 68', I bought it because I love the 1970 color and the built 440 under the not stock lift off hood, and the lumpy idle of the cam.View attachment 142582

I like your car, a lot.
It's HIP.
12 years ago, I saved an A body from the junk yard.
It was Y1. I painted it Y3.

“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightningbug and the lightning”

Imitations are like the original.
But they are not originals.
Some types of imitations are even superior to the original in some ways.
“Replica” works better than “clone”.

But when I hear “replica”, it seems to have the connotation of something that has been constructed from totally new parts.
That’s what I think of when I hear about AC Cobra or Spyder Replicas.
And they would have a distinctive VIN .

“Tribute” sound sort of Holly-Woody to me.
Which is why I would feel stupid driving a Charger now.
But unfortunately they wouldn’t mistake me for Vin Diesel. :icon_eyes:

“Parts is parts”
Until we get to VIN number part put there by the manufacture.

I wonder how the Chevy crowd feels about putting “SS” badges on plain Chevelles.
Did GM never make an actual SS?
How is that known?

Just curious.
I’ve never been interested in Chevelles.

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Last edited:
Here's the thing about "clones" (see my sig) straight from Ma Mopar at 1:29 in this commercial - "And though Road Runner has its own distinctive grille, underneath it's every inch a Satellite."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ciomPvbWo

So there it is. :yes:

Great example of true history and revisionist history conflicting with one another. Back then, the premium and value proposition was on the car being a Satellite, not a Road Runner. Now the premium is on being a Road Runner and revisionists want to forget that the car is actually a Satellite.

I see the same stuff when I hear the term Muscle Car applied to Pony cars and sports cars. Back when these cars were new, they were never marketed as Muscle Cars, and no one associated with them wanted to have anything to do with the Muscle Car concept. They were all sports cars and sports car wannabees... small, light weight, great handling cars meant for sports car events, while Muscle Cars were big mid-size rides that were good for nothing more than going fast in a straight line. Now the revisionists are hard over in rewriting history to make these cars out to have always been muscle cars.

This is why it's important to know what the real history is. :)

I'll bet that the vast majority of the cars that people on this board own are not COMPLETELY as they were originally built. And based on my own experience, when people who see you driving your car and smile and give you the thumbs up, they could care less what your vin number starts with. It's your car. Do it the way you want to.

lol - instead of "Hey, whatcha got under the hood," it'd be "Hey, what's the second letter of your VIN?"

I was surprised to learn that by 1973 all Satellite models were also Plymouths.
Even the sedans and wagons.

??? What were the pre 1973 Satellite models, if not Plymouths?

All 1973 Satellite models are a Plymouth.
All 1973 Plymouths are a Satellite model?

All 1973 Road Runners are every inch a Satellite model.
All 1973 Satellite models are every inch a Road Runner?

Some Belvedere models can be made into Hemi cars?

I'll take a slightly different opinion---

Take a silver necklace.

Plate it in gold.

Is it now a gold necklace?

No. It's a gold plated, silver necklace.

It's nicer and more valuable than when it was a silver necklace, but it's still not a gold necklace.

A Road Runner left the factory as an RM Road Runner.
A "clone" starting with an RH Satellite, even if all the "correct" RR options are added, will still be a Satellite.

That being said, I do plan to ad an RR hood to my 73 Sat, and I may even put on an RR stripe, but I'd really like one without the bird in it.

IMO, the hood will beg the question "how fast is it?".
I'm of the school that it probably should have something more than a bone stock 318 2 barrel under that bulge (even though RM2xG RRs did come that way).

Also IMO, there are several ways to go with badging-

1- Intimidation- Put on "528" badges (and scoops and stripes) and hope to bluff the other guy into backing down.

2- Entrapment- Put on "273-4" emblems and then unleash your 416 at the line.

3- Honesty- What is it really?

4- Stealth- No badging. Keep them guessing.

* because this post contains references to psychological warfare, the price must be adjusted from $.02, to $.05)

I'm confused as always. Why not just call a spade a spade, a Satellite a Satellite, a RR a RR and so on. All models are cool in their own right. Why try to disguise that?

All 1973 Satellite models are a Plymouth.
All 1973 Plymouths are a Satellite model?

All 1973 Road Runners are every inch a Satellite model.
All 1973 Satellite models are every inch a Road Runner?

Some Belvedere models can be made into Hemi cars?

There were more Plymouth models than Satellite. There were also the Fury, Duster, Valiant, Barracuda, the imported Cricket and Plymouth's version of the RamCharger, called the Trailduster.

I'll take a slightly different opinion---
Take a silver necklace. Plate it in gold. Is it now a gold necklace?

No. It's a gold plated, silver necklace. It's nicer and more valuable than when it was a silver necklace, but it's still not a gold necklace.

A Road Runner left the factory as an RM Road Runner. A "clone" starting with an RH Satellite, even if all the "correct" RR options are added, will still be a Satellite.

So, the letter 'M' is equal to a solid gold necklace? :eusa_think:

Nice Glotzbach Replica, I remember one in MCG, owner/ builder was named "Perkins" if I recall correctly? I used references from that car to build a scale model. Nice Car, as is yours!

Auto Transport Service
Back