• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust revival

That is very impressive. I give you full kudos for that effort.
You are bringing that car back from the dead literally.

looks great my 70 i jest picked up outa n.m last nite that was advertized on this site dosnt need as much as yours and im a metal guy that doesnt care how rusty it is you can never count your time invested when its a dream project unless its for resale so i say let the sparks fly and keep up the pics im gunna rack my 70 this week and post pics please check it out it may give you hope theres another guy that bought 2000 pounds of rust and cant stop grinning from ear to ear

looks great my 70 i jest picked up outa n.m last nite that was advertized on this site dosnt need as much as yours and im a metal guy that doesnt care how rusty it is you can never count your time invested when its a dream project unless its for resale so i say let the sparks fly and keep up the pics im gunna rack my 70 this week and post pics please check it out it may give you hope theres another guy that bought 2000 pounds of rust and cant stop grinning from ear to ear

Maybe they'll just lock the two of us up together at the funny farm! Hahaha

Good to know theres a few of us around CK!!!:headbang:

Brought the old girl to my friend Fitzees shop..."Island Rod & Kustom Ltd"...where we both did some work on her in an effort to get her ready for the road this summer.

I started on the passenger side wheel arch while Fitz made the left lower inner and outer quarterpanel from scratch.

The wheel arch involved adapting a front fender arch from a 67 Belvedere, but like the other side it needed to first be made to approximate the original 63 Dodge shape.
Seeing as how I already did the other side, I also did this side.
Fitz would do both lower quarter sections.
That way...neither of us had to guess at how the other guy did something.

175.jpg

176.jpg

179.jpg

180.jpg

183.jpg

192.jpg

193-1.jpg

066.jpg

Theres some gaps in the pictures of different steps of the installation...but we were trying to get a lot done each night and simply forgot at times to snap a few pics when we should have!

You can still get an idea of what was going on though.

BTW...should clarify...this wasn't done in just one night!!!

Black, wow, amazing! I see lots of familiar terrain in your car as I see this same ugly stuff often on customers cars, and, formerly my GTX! Awesome, love how you utilize the cardboard, it never fails when you template stuff first! Cheers!

Thanks guys!
Man...busy times. Sorry I'm so long updating!!!

As I said at the beginning of the last post...while I did the wheelwell arch, fitzee was busy making new inner and outer lower quarter sections for the drivers side.

He did a bang up job I think!

I'll let the pics tell the story...

038.jpg

173.jpg

178.jpg

181.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

191.jpg

190.jpg

190.jpg

189.jpg

187.jpg

188-1.jpg

I know I'm biased...but damn I think he did a great job!

Fitzee used mostly basic tools...hammer and dolly of course, but also his homebuilt bender and an old "T" anvil with a nice long, round profile.
He does have a small homebuilt English wheel that he gave it a few passes thru to tighten up the roll...but honestly I think it was just a bit faster to use that.
He could have done without it.
The inner panel was beaded using a press former he made up for some different part on a different car...but it worked for this stuff too.

I think the hardest part was the bottom of the wheelwell itself due to the many turns and shapes required.
It took a lot of time to do...and ends up being the most ignored part!!!

Wicked job fitz! Always fun working together!!!

We hang out a lot together and often help each other on various projects.
Hot Rodding/car building wouldn't be half the fun it is without good friends to share it with!

very nice work keep posting were lovin it ,:headbang:

Wow, freakin' hardcore man! I need to take some welding lessons.

Last edited:
BIG thank you to "ike61"
A good while back I got it in my head to ask about getting some front fender sections to repair my old fenders around the headlights.
Getting full fenders would be outrageous for me due to the shipping...but I figured someone MIGHT have some damaged fenders they might be willing to cut up.
Didn't realize just what I was getting into!

Made a post, got a response from "ike61" that he had what I needed and the price was right.
I paid for the parts inc some additional parts like the rear bumper and then the fun started!

I won't get into details because it would take an hour to type it all out, BUT, it ended up that "ike61" had to repackage my order several times and I had to delete the bumper from the package just to make it sensible to even consider the cost of shipping.
UPS wanted approx $586.00 to ship PLUS the brokerage fees.
Thats just not possible!
Ike made adjustments to the package to no avail and then suggested he try to size it for USPS shipping as he might just sneak it thru.
With a couple of more tries and some additional creative cutting to the fenders he DID IT!

I ended up paying just over $160.00 all included for the shipping. Unreal difference.

I couldn't ask for a nicer guy to deal with or one with more patience in dealing with ME, the shipping, and all that repackaging etc.

I really can't say enough good stuff about my experience with him...except to thank him publicly for all his additional efforts.
Without his hard work this deal would have gone into the dumpster...not the mail truck!!!
The parts arrived last week, well packed and even better than I expected shape wise.

A guy simply couldn't ask for more!

Thanks again Daryl.
You really helped me out with this project!!!

I WISH I had some updates...
There is a bit more I have pics of that I should put up I guess and I'll try in the next few days.

I WANTED the car back home from storage about a month ago but I've run into a major time eater in the form of a winter 4x4 that I bought, which ended up needing extreme repair to the frame due to rust damage.
I missed a bit of it myself so I'm at fault partially, but the guy who traded it in had performed some nasty and totally unsafe repair work elsewere and then hid it to increase the value on trade in.
I could have gone after the used dealer in court I guess, but I'm sure he knew nothing about it...so i decided to just chalk it up as a learning experience.
I already had most of the brakes redone etc...
It's taken a lot more time to repair correctly than I expected and as a result impacted my Mopar time!

My biggest fear is my possible reaction if that SOB ever walks up to me out of the blue and says, "Hey! Thats MY old truck!" LoL

Auto Transport Service
Back