• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on charging

mccoymail

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
Folks

Please school me a little on our charging system. My 70 charger idles kinda choppy, but at idle, my amp gauge floats right around zero. At higher idle it buries out past +40. I don't want to fry anything.
Thoughts?

Use a voltmeter to check the voltage in that high idle. Shouldn't be more than 14.5 to 15 volts. The high ammeter reading could be from a bad voltage regulator or bad battery. I presume that has the '70 electronic voltage regulator, be sure the regulator case has a really good ground , although the poor ground will normally give you little or no output from the alternator. The mounting screw through the firewall may not be good enough. Chased that for almost a year and the dealers never figured it out. A dying battery will give you that high ammeter demand reading.

Thanks. I'm done today but I will start down that path Sunday. I'm sure I'll let you know.
I should add that yes, mopar electronic ignition with orange box. As well as new battery and alt.

with the car off does it show discharge when you turn lights and fans etc on
If not you have stuff wired to wrong side of ammeter

Folks

Please school me a little on our charging system. My 70 charger idles kinda choppy, but at idle, my amp gauge floats right around zero. At higher idle it buries out past +40. I don't want to fry anything.
Thoughts?

No real amp draw at idle, lots of amp draw at higher rpm's. Good sign that your running on the battery. What the hell does it do at 2000 rpm's? And most importantly whats drawing all those amps. Perhaps your alternator's gone south or your voltage regulator.

Auto Transport Service
Back