• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking advice for tire size on vintage Slot wheels

I guess he's wondering about the 265/70x14.
According to tiresize.com, there is no such tire (anymore? Maybe there was at one time)
Also, a 265 is pretty wide for a 5.5" rim. (Biggest, widest 14" tire, short of a drag radial, of which I can find a total of TWO, in 14", would be a 245/60x14).
The rims on the car are 14”x7” I believe.

I will be at the shop Monday to check.

Anyway, I ordered 295/50/15 for the rear and 215/70/15 for the front.

I had L60s in high school around 1980.

IMG_1976.jpeg

I could only find 275s in 60 or 70 spec for standard Street radials. These are 275 50 15 ET drags, not good in moisture

IMG_0180.jpeg

I’m looking for EXACTLY the look! What is the backspacing? What did you pay? And where did you score these.

Okay, I need some advice on wheels and tires and figured I'd add to this thread since that's what we're talking about. I have a 68 Coronet 500 and I mini-tubbed it by moving the inside well 3 1/2 inches closer to the frame rail. I now have 16" of wheel well to play with and want to put some bigger tires in there. I LOVE slotted aluminum wheels, but the largest backspacing I can find is 4" on a 10" wheel meaning that they will stick out more than they'll stick in. If you look at my measurements below, what would you recommend for fitment of a bigger tire? (Also, will replacing my drum brakes with disc brakes affect my wheel choice?

Wheel_well_schematic2.png

Last question first. Yes, disc conversions often move the wheel farther toward the fender. The disc hat is usually thicker than a drum.
It looks like you mini-tubbed it, without narrowing the rearend. That works, but that means you need more backspace than normal, and a LOT more backspace than you will find on the old slot style wheels. They were notorious (at least with me) for being hard to fit in the wider sizes, because they didn't have enough backspace.
If you are looking for a 10" wheel (alloy would actually be 11" wide), you would need somewhere around 6 1/2 to 7" backspace to use the extra room.
(Funny thing, I have some very old centerlines, NOT for sale, that were custom built for exactly this situation, 10.5 wide, 7.25 bs).
Pretty sure anything that would work for you will have to be either custom made for you, or a high-end wheel available in multiple offsets/bs.
I might start by going to summits wheel site, and plug in the backspace you need, and see what comes up.
Edit: maximum tire size will be determined by what wheel you come up with.
2nd edit; summit sells house brand wheels (vision, venom, and fast five) in the backspace you need for about a third of what I would have expected, around $200 each.

Last edited:
Thanks 33 IMP. First, thanks for digging for me. I couldn't figure out how to use the Summit site so I called and got some help. I'll go in and play with wheel size and backspacing to see if there's a style I like.

It sounds like an option is to narrow the rearend (or buy a narrowed rearend). This is a brand new area for me and any advice is welcomed. Is a narrowed rearend something I could pick up used at -- for example -- Carlisle? I'm guessing the cost to have it done is fairly expensive (but might be worth it if it allows me to get the wheels I want). And considering I am looking to lose about 10" (5" per side), I'd be looking at 50 inches flange to flange (as opposed to the 60 inches I now have). Then I could go with 15 x 10 slotted mags with 3.5" backspacing (leaving 6.5" sticking out from the flange. Does that sound right or is my thinking off?

Look at tire size charts and try to understand aspect ratios. The sizes listed in the OP would result in a taller tire in the front, not a good look imho…

Narrowing the rear is about the only way you would be able to use the wheels you want , with the backspace available.
A very expensive solution, in my opinion. You would have to acquire the wheels you want, and then have a rear narrowed to your specs to make it work.
I'm pretty sure I would look for a different wheel, with a backspace that works for what you have.
But, I know your pain, and problem. I have a couple sets of wheels, very vintage like slots are now (ansen 5-spoke,look like torque thrust, and 70s vintage daisies) that basically won't fit anything I've got, cause they have too little backspace. If you put a tire on them wide enough for the wheel (8.5) the tire hits the fender.
And , for what it's worth, I have two cars with narrowed rearends, narrowed a lot. Tiny foreign cars, with room for a 16" tread tire. See post#45, this thread.

Last edited:
The summit site is easy!
Go do departments, plug in wheels. Then on the left side it gives you narrowing results. Plug in the diameter, get results. Then plug in wheel width, get results. Then plug in bolt circle, get results. Then plug in backspace get results. It will show a couple hundred wheels with the diameter, width, bc and bs you asked for.
Just be aware they only use a picture of one wheel, usually a deep dish (like the old slot wheels are). The wheel you get will have a lot less outer depth than the picture.

Auto Transport Service
Back