• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting Curve - ProBillet

Mopar-Charger

Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
I finally got the complete MSD Ignition. I've been collecting the parts for a while now and I should be able to order the ignition box tomorrow.

This Is what I have:

Super Conductor wires
MSD Pro Billet Dist
MSD blaster 3 Coil
(soon to have) MSD 6al Ignition box (6225?)

What should I expect to set the curve too? I will add a link to what I can make it. I have a primarily street car.

CsWJR1b.png

Thanks,

Jake

There are some factors to consider such as street or strip use and octane of the fuel you will be running. The old school of thought is to get as much advance as you can up to the point of pre-detonation (pinging). Base timing and total timing are important.
The graphs are a bit misleading because they start at 0 degrees but your car already has some base timing of lets say 12 degrees. I'm guessing that "0" is really your base timing. The advance stop bushing will allow you to advance to your desired total timing. If you are looking for say, 34 degrees of total timing, then you would select the "stop" that would limit the total to 22 degrees over base advance (the blue one).
The spring combination would determine how fast the distributor advances to that total. If the car pings on acceleration, slow the advance down by trying different spring combinations. The graphs start with the slowest advance curve to the quickest, A-F. Have fun. It's a great learning experience.
A good tip. When changing springs, tie a length of dental floss through the spring. That way, when the spring goes flying and it will, it won't go far.

haha thanks for the info. good idea on the dental floss. I just spent 30 minutes looking for the light silver spring.....

I almost always use either light silver and light blue springs or two light blue springs with a black bushing or one of my 14* advance bushings. In most cases, MSD doesn't provide a bushing to put enough initial advance on our cars.

I never use the heavy silver spring

The charts are only advance that's in the distributor. Too many variable with how much initial advance someone may put in at idle, so you have to do some basic math. :)

Thanks to everyone who replied. The two light silver springs with the blue bushing worked. Car runs like a champ.

Auto Transport Service
Back