• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silly Engine Lift Plate Question

Doorkicker

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
We've all used some version of the engine lift plate --- the one you bolt to the intake manifold for the engine lift. Every time I do this I get the willies because it's just 4 tiny bolts in an aluminum intake meant to hold a carburetor.

How much weight is reasonable? I get it... "an engine"... would you be comfortable ranking and engine and tranny with it? I'm just curious.

I have other lifting devices, but they can be a pain... and the plate is easy. But it makes me nervious for some reason.

We've all used some version of the engine lift plate --- the one you bolt to the intake manifold for the engine lift. Every time I do this I get the willies because it's just 4 tiny bolts in an aluminum intake meant to hold a carburetor.

How much weight is reasonable? I get it... "an engine"... would you be comfortable ranking and engine and tranny with it? I'm just curious.

I have other lifting devices, but they can be a pain... and the plate is easy. But it makes me nervious for some reason.
I use them all the time. Hemi and 5 speed all in one. Just use good bolts and make sure to use all the threads.

Never used one.....
Agreed. Reason? Half is never remembering to fetch one beforehand and the other half is trust.
Yes - I know it's probably actually safer to use one. I just never have in half a century.

One 5/16 grade 5 bolt can lift most cars. It has over 4,000 pounds of vertical strength.

Never a worry.

100_0381.JPG

I use them all the time. The max tensile strength on a grade 8 5/16"-18 bolt is 7850lb times the stress area in in^2 is 7850*0.0524= 411.34 lbs.
Approximate a 800lb motor /4 = 200lbs per bolt. You are only at half of the allowable load on each bolt and honestly, most motors are less than 600lb.
I ain't skeert, even with aluminum manifolds... :poke:

I always fret more about the aluminum intake holes pulling, not the strength of a grade 8 bolt.

I've used a lifting plate for many years and I also worry more about the aluminum intake.

I too was apprehensive before I started using them all the time.

I've used them a bit, but I prefer using a leveler attached to the heads or intake-head bolts. As has been said, it's the not bolt strength to worry about anyways, but rather the threads in the soft aluminum. Send the bolts as deep into the intake as you can and worry-B-gone.

I have used them
and simply dont trust them
I bought an engine cradle that I can crank the balance and thus the angle of the engine as I need to

like this only Red

s-l1600.jpg

You guys that have never used them must also still be having sex in the same position.

Agreed. Reason? Half is never remembering to fetch one beforehand and the other half is trust.
Yes - I know it's probably actually safer to use one. I just never have in half a century.
I usually pulled engines with the carb still on so never bought one.
You guys that have never used them must also still be having sex in the same position.
Not hardly! :lol:

Oy vey. Zip that high school putdown nonsense already...
Lots of ways to skin this cat (as usual), none of them reflecting anyones' sexual preferences.

Auto Transport Service
Back