• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slant in a 67 Charger?

What Engine to install in an engine-less 67 Charger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

65 Dartman

Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
Awhile ago I bought a 67 from my Mopar buddy without engine or transmission. It was originally a 383 4 barrel car.

A Mopar friend (who happens to be a slant afficiando), said install a built-up slant in the Charger since it needs an engine and DARE TO BE DIFFERENT. He thinks slants ought to be in everything! He knows I am building a stout slant equipped with triple SUs for my 65 Dart wagon.

30b2xd2.jpg

and also knows I have most everything for another built slant including a set of triple Webers. Yes, a slant with triple Webers would look pretty nice and be different in the Charger since I don't think a slant was ever offered in the 66/67 Charger

20kypgh.jpg

When I bought the Charger the plan was to eventually install the slightly upgraded 392 Hemi (sitting on the stand) & 727 (with trans to Hemi adapter). The 392 is practically a bolt-in - tight - but still practically a bolt-in on the existing K Frame. It's tempting to be REALLY different with the slant but the 392 needs a home.

5cb0rb.jpg

So what do the masses say ; built slant, the 392 Hemi, or find a 383 to be semi-original?

392 is my vote. The slant six is different but not necessarily going to bring the fun factor.

I would choose a B or RB , or even an LA small block over either of those engines for that particular vehicle. I love the slant and the Hemi but the slant is too puny for 4000lbs of Charger and the Hemi is too much weight over the front end, just my two cents

You want to be different? Install a boosted 4BT Cummins in it! It'll kill that /6 in a heart beat and with two less cylinders.....

My vote is for the big block but a slant would be cool, only bolt on a turbo.

My vote is for the big block but a slant would be cool, only bolt on a turbo.
Don't think it's quite that simple. I kinda like to know how some of them stay together with those long skinny rods and only 4 main bearings.....

Don't think it's quite that simple. I kinda like to know how some of them stay together with those long skinny rods and only 4 main bearings.....

Tuff little SOB's, plenty of them around, just look at youtube.

You want to be different? Install a boosted 4BT Cummins in it! It'll kill that /6 in a heart beat and with two less cylinders.....

I'm thinking Cummins ISV5.0 would be a better alternative to the 4BT.

Tuff little SOB's, plenty of them around, just look at youtube.
The /6 is tuff? How do you figure? In stock form, they are rather weak. Ever dissect one? The only reason they don't come apart very often is because the valves ain't big enough to flow enough air/fuel to get the rpm up high enough to window itself.

Kinda fat aint it? Dry weight of 804lbs Crank up the torsion bars!
The 6BT is 900 but the 4BT is around 650 iirc and they can really haul *** and are very strong!

the last slant six I pulled I threw in a ditch. they might look cool all dressed up, but they sound like a bag of popcorn farts. give me a V8 every day of the week. a 440 weighs in at 750 pounds, a 383 is about the same, that 392 hemi probably doesn't weigh much more than that. I would slap that 392 in there and never look back.

Attachments

• blown392.jpg
    blown392.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 620
The /6 and the 392 will probably cost more to install than a 383. A 440 would be my choice but it wasn't on the list.

we got 2 66 Charger big block 4spd cars....if I was to get a body without engine, I would drop a /6 in it just to be different.....I almost had the opportunity a while back, deal fell through though

Many years ago I got the opportunity to hammer on a buddies built /6 and it stayed together quite well. I personally took it to 6000 RPM and it was solid. And he did that all the time. Car ran low 15's at Fremont. I have three Carter YH carbs that I'm saving just incase I end up with a /6 3 on the tree B body some day! Love the SU and Weber set up!!

Since you have the parts go with the six... and because having a pair of common motors also... w,built six will pull just about anything along.... even a c body... it's not always about power....

I wanted to do a turbo /6 in my A body but sold it so I still have that wish. I would put a 5 speed behind it. Not too many choices for an OD juice tranny. Go for the six, you can always swap it out if you decide to change it.
Wayne

Kinda fat aint it? Dry weight of 804lbs Crank up the torsion bars!

I never said it was light haha. But over 300 hp and 500 ft-lbs before any modifications and would probably get 25-30 mpg in a car that light.

Auto Transport Service
Back