• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

small oval hole on firewall

vegiguy

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
On my '73 there is a small oval hole about 3/8" X 3/4" right below the bulkhead connector and I can't figure out what it's there for. It's not big enough to put a grommet in and run extra wires or a cable thru. Anybody know what it's for? I can't see anything about the way my car is set up to use it unless it's there for a clip for some sort of firewall insulation pad, which is the only thing I can see it being there for.

It could be a blockoff plug. Is it where a clutch linkage rod could pass through?

It is where the clutch rod passes is you have a manual trans. If you have an auto trans, then there is a plastic body plug that goes in the opening. If you need one, mega parts has this for 3 bucks.
I have a manual transmission so I know it's NOT the hole for the clutch rod to go thru. Could it be for an automatic transmission cable of some sort to pass thru then? It's closer to the middle of the car, about even with the passenger side edge of the bulkhead connector.

I'll take a picture tomorrow when I go out to work on the car where it's stored if it's still needed by then.

Are you talking about this, circled in white? That is the throttle cable hole!
IMAG1518s.jpg

I went thru some of my old pics of the restoration on my 73 and found this. I have a cable going thru there.
Firewall73.jpg

I went thru some of my old pics of the restoration on my 73 and found this. I have a cable going thru there.View attachment 396252
Pictures of hole:
hole.jpg
hole2.jpg

Since it's so irregular in shape I'm wondering if it isn't something that some one added later to run wires thru. I've seen a lot of that going on with the vehicles I've restored over the years.

Looks like someone drilled two holes and cut the metal between them, but for what who knows!

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I wish I would have just welded it shut when I was restoring the body of the car. Now I have to figure out what to do with it because there apparently isn't a use for the hole.

Just plug it with seam sealer or silicone goo. Then if you ever need it, it will save you getting the drill out.

I would say rather than try and weld it up now or fill it, maybe you could widen it and make it round and get a body plug that will fit in it, say 3/4 inch or 1 inch. It will at least look cleaner rather than an afterthought.

I was thinking that exact same thing. Or I might put a washer head bolt thru there with a washered nut on the engine side to match the rest of the fasteners that go thru the firewall: I'll bet if I did that no one - except for maybe a Mopar judge - would be the wiser. This car is far from "all original", with a transplanted truck 400 in it and an A-833 conversion, so I think a Mopar judge or enthusiast would pick up on that sooner than having an extra bolt sticking thru the firewall.

Auto Transport Service
Back