• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid Axel or IRS?

RXTREME

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
My 70 Charger Restomod/Street/Racecar is coming along and im deciding between solid axel or IRS in the rear. Im trying to make a car that can handle the track and have a quick quarter mile. Kind of a jack of all trades thing master of none. Im aiming in the 1000 hp+ area. And if anyone knows where or how i could get a rear end for my charger that can handle 2k hp let me know!

You're talking Funny Car numbers!

182276.gif

It's a common theme of current world.
The unrealistic 8's.
I want;
8000hp
80mpg
Seat 8 people
Go 8's in the quarter
800mph top speed
80 sec track lap times
8 thousand dollar cost
80 hours to build

Did I miss anything. Most likely

It's a common theme of current world.
The unrealistic 8's.
I want;
8000hp
80mpg
Seat 8 people
Go 8's in the quarter
800mph top speed
80 sec track lap times
8 thousand dollar cost
80 hours to build

Did I miss anything. Most likely
1709147275005.png

Speedtech performance has what you want. Bring your wallet. The upgraded version is only good for 1800 HP however.

My 70 Charger Restomod/Street/Racecar is coming along and im deciding between solid axel or IRS in the rear. Im trying to make a car that can handle the track and have a quick quarter mile. Kind of a jack of all trades thing master of none. Im aiming in the 1000 hp+ area. And if anyone knows where or how i could get a rear end for my charger that can handle 2k hp let me know!
Handling on a twisty race course and drag racing require different types of suspension, as well as different cooling and oiling requirements for the engine. Yes, cars like the hellcat Challenger and Charger used an IRS rear end, but when Dodge got serious and offered the Drag Pak Challenger, they put in a solid 9" rear end, built by Strange Engineering. I'd contact them and find out what they recommend.

You will require a lot of structural reinforcement to keep that old chassis from twisting when you add that much extra power.

Why not show us some pictures of how your Charger is coming along so far?

Three things stand out here IMO, drags, 1KHP, and heavy car. You will have you hands full on the track no matter what you do before your wad it up, an IRS does not work well at the drags and worse so with your combination (Hp/weight/use) and an IRS will not give you much bang for the buck on track days. Forget the 4 triangulated 4 link 1980's crap sold as the new holy grail.
Drop in a built high dollar ford 9" or a Dana 60 with proper leaf springs and the biggest tires and brakes you can afford and have at it and go from there.

Three things stand out here IMO, drags, 1KHP, and heavy car. You will have you hands full on the track no matter what you do before your wad it up, an IRS does not work well at the drags and worse so with your combination (Hp/weight/use) and an IRS will not give you much bang for the buck on track days. Forget the 4 triangulated 4 link 1980's crap sold as the new holy grail.
Drop in a built high dollar ford 9" or a Dana 60 with proper leaf springs and the biggest tires and brakes you can afford and have at it and go from there.
Thats more like it. People think im crazy but these days we have cara going 300 mph and teslas beating demons. This can be done with the right engineering. I will go with the live axel. Thank you

Cubic dollars cures most - but I doubt those cubic dollars exist in most folks' reality.

These days we have cars going 300 mph, teslas beating dodge demons. My motor will be a 600 ci noonan hemi. It may seem crazy but i bet i can do it. Watch
Drag cars....Top Fuel....are doing 300+ on the track. What ones that are street legal are doing that? My fastest car was running high 9's @134 in the 1/4 mile many years ago with a Dana 60. Running 8's is doable but an IRS for that is going to be a tad hard to achieve....imo.....at least without breakage unless you are willing and able to spend big bucks. And EV cars.....well, what can I say. IRS rears are not exactly easy to 'tune'.

Where is your magic wand? Drag racing is one setup, round track another, autocross another and road course another. I don't see your wish list happening.

Fab up your own 4-link and use a heavily-beefed 9"-derived rear. 1,000hp no problem. Look at what the Pro-Stock guys are doing...

sjej.png

These days we have cars going 300 mph, teslas beating dodge demons. My motor will be a 600 ci noonan hemi. It may seem crazy but i bet i can do it. Watch
Looks like you are spending 200k on a car. Good luck.

I beat german sports cars at the drag strip with my rusty Dodge Dart.... just decide which type of racing you really want to do and go from there.

Best way to go fast is buy an airplane like a P-51 Mustang.

To check all the boxes properly for street, drag racing and road course type handling it needs to be AWD for that much HP. I would use a proven solid axle in the back and focus on powering the front axle thru a IFS set up like a rally car.

Auto Transport Service
Back