• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter motors

Canyon707

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
Just blew out my starter tonight and was wondering is it normally a 130 TOOTH for a 400 block or ??

Yep, '94 Dakota V8 starter
Autozone
Lifetime warranty
11-1
34* timing
Not locked

I've got the same starter as these guys....Autozone Dakota 5.2L (318) "mini" starter with only VERY MINOR modification to the wire connections to ensure block clearance. The engine spins MUCH faster/easier.

And to answer your actual question: I can't remember how many teeth are on the starter gear, but Chrysler used only one starter for EVERYTHING.....6 cyl, 273, 318, 340, 360, 361, 383, 400, 440, Hemi..... except I think like 2 yrs. of race hemi or something like that.

I've got the same starter as these guys....Autozone Dakota 5.2L (318) "mini" starter with only VERY MINOR modification to the wire connections to ensure block clearance. The engine spins MUCH faster/easier.

And to answer your actual question: I can't remember how many teeth are on the starter gear, but Chrysler used only one starter for EVERYTHING.....6 cyl, 273, 318, 340, 360, 361, 383, 400, 440, Hemi..... except I think like 2 yrs. of race hemi or something like that.
Yeah I did the same thing
I shortened the "main threaded lug/stud"
so it would clear the block, easy peasy !!
I've had the starter some ten years now...

This is what I bought made in America. Summit Racing.

starter.JPG

Starter is now installed pain in the butt. In the process of preparing for more 9 second runs I removed my TTI headers and wraped them to prevent any heat damage to my soon to arrive DRE Kevlar Diaper. Sharing a pic with you guys.

header wrap.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back