• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Removal

avidflyr

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
My 64 B Body Needs a New Horn Switch installed. How do I remove the center bar (spoke) to gain access to the Wheel Inners. I have the switch assembly with canceling fingers,tabs,and 7 wires. Don't believe I have to remove the wheel ?

I think push in at the 7 o'clock position on horn ring and turn to left....at least on a 66 it's that way best I remember.

I had to replace the turn signal return and horn on my '63 some years ago if I recall the wheel had to be removed for the signals not sure on the horn. On mine there are 3 Philips screws to take off to remove a black circular cap that might expose the assembly to replace it. For removing the wheel I made up a small puller out of a rectangular block of steal drilled three holes with the 2 end holes I tapped 1/4-20 with allen screws to act as the puller. My puller kit didn't have anything that would work to do this as I recollect...it's been 10 years or so. It was pretty simple to do as I remember just a turn or two and the wheel came free from the spindle.

Yes, you will need to remove the wheel. You will also need to carefully remove the connector down on the column using a small tool to release the turn signal wires from the connector. I cut the old wires down near the connector on the column, leaving some wire, so I can remove one old wire at a time, and make sure I put the same color new wire back in the same spot. You also will have to pull out the old switch, and wire from the top after cutting the old connector off. Then feed the new wires down the column, and then put the new wires one at a time in the old connector. Also, on removing the horn, if it's the deluxe wheel, like a Fury, or Sport Fury, there's screws on the back of the wheel to remove it. And disconnect the battery first.
I think there's a service manual on line for this year car. Do a search on this site.

Auto Transport Service
Back