• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering wheel

MD Mopar

Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
The steering wheel on my 1965 belvedere II moves up and down about 1/4 inch. It does not affect anything when driving, but just bothers me. I am told that a snap ring might not have been installed when the previous owner built the car. I would like to fix this, but do not know where to start or where to purchase the snap ring or rings. Appreciate any assistance.

First, I assume you're talking front to back movement in the column. I'm thinking pull the steering wheel and turn signal switch, there are two snap rings on the shaft. If it is missing or broken, try to get a ball partk idea of size and head to local hardware store. Pick up couple different sizes. column65.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There are two snap rings, one behind bearing and one in front

check coupling and firewall bushing. my 65 belvedere had similar problem and after rebuild of coupling and new firewall bushing, steering wheel and column firm.

Auto Transport Service
Back